Which seeds can I sow direct?

• 27 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Which seeds can I sow direct?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 12:43 »
Especially when you are trying to garden organically and build up a harmonious balance of nature so that you don't have to resort to slug pellets and other chemicals.

Good luck with that - very few people, even the ones that try to be organic, manage without slug pellets of some kind   :(

Kirpi

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 13:33 »
I manage without slug pellets but then I walk my dog to the allotment every early morning and evening and pick any I see into a bag and drop them off at the local landfill bin along with any gifts my dog wants to contribute (sorry if too much information!).

Basically I send them on their holidays.  They say slugs and snails can find their way back to your plot but the landfill site is twenty miles away - good luck getting back!

I think it is more that, by removing slugs and snails from an area you just create a space for new ones to come in.

compostqueen

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 17:24 »
Yes I know what you mean.  Keeping critters off the crop is a major problem.  I use a lot of Enviromesh.  I buy a new piece when I can afford it  :D 

al78

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 20:07 »
Especially when you are trying to garden organically and build up a harmonious balance of nature so that you don't have to resort to slug pellets and other chemicals.

Good luck with that - very few people, even the ones that try to be organic, manage without slug pellets of some kind   :(

Isn't that what permaculture is about, growing in harmony with nature?

snowdrops

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 20:26 »

I've not used them since I went organic some 27/8 years ago. I used to go out in the garden at night with a torch & then take them for a walk to the woods once a week,but didn't tell them when I came home :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 20:41 »

Isn't that what permaculture is about, growing in harmony with nature?
It may well be - and I wished you good luck with whatever you were trying to do :)
I just added that it is difficult for some to manage without them ;)

Kirpi

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 20:58 »
Difficult - but not impossible. Luckily I have to walk my dog twice a day so that gets me out twice a day, just when the slugs and snails are the most active and they do love their mystery walks - so much so every one of them has so far decided to stay where I take them (please see earlier post!)!

yaxley

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 21:05 »
Think there will be some years when we all have to use them was pretty lucky on our plot last season the snails were smashed open by birds mistle thrushes i think found heaps of broken shells and the slugs we collected when over there so got as many of them as possible though they did seem to take a liking  to  my turnips the most ..
Grow organic as nature intended

Kirpi

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 22:08 »
That's a good point - by providing the right areas to attract natural predators in - like the thrush, song birds and frogs and hedgehogs, they all do most of the work for us.  There have been months where I haven't seen any slimies to collect, but we do have a small pond which is habited by frogs and our leafmould bin has been used by hedgehogs for sleeping quarters.

Clinically kept allotments may look neat and tidy but a little rough in the corners can attract lots of gardener's friends in to keep the nasties down when we are tucked up at home.

yaxley

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 22:15 »
A few bird feeders Damp places with leaves and a box in a secluded corner for the hedgehog can still look tidy and thats it the animals will make a meal of the nasties for you we have slow worms, grass snakes ,common lizards hopefully hedgehogs not seen them yet to deal with the bugs and slugs weasels and owls to deal with the rats and mice ...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 22:21 »
I think we've drifted off the original topic, which if I remember correctly was about sowing seeds direct into the ground, into methods of cultivation, which has got people into hot water before.

I strongly suggest we get back on topic.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

yaxley

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013, 22:36 »
Ooops sorry well to get back on topic we sow most things direct carrots,parsnips ,spring onion,lettuce, kale but things like broad beans runners and peas we start in pots as the mice tunnel under the ground and eat them ....

Kirpi

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2013, 07:51 »
sorry - the thread did start to stray into one of my favourite subjects.

One of my direct sow projects will be to fine-dig a piece of my miscellaneous bed this year and sow a line of carrots - have always sown into giant tubs before, but one of our veteran gardeners said he has had no problem before so I'll be watching him closely!

xx
Seeds direct

Started by brendabel18 on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 20:00
by jonny_tinslecat
xx
Anyone else had a problem accessing Premier Seeds Direct?

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 31, 2022, 18:11
by Snowboar
xx
what to sow direct?

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 27, 2013, 04:36
by jay001
xx
What do you sow direct?

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 07:36
by safetrade

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 34 queries.