Which seeds can I sow direct?

• 27 Replies

Kirpi

Which seeds can I sow direct?
« on: February 22, 2013, 20:04 »
This is my fourth allotment season and last year I realised there were a lot of veggies I raised in modules I could have sown direct and saved money on bags of compost.

I propose to sow some seeds direct this year to see how they go, but I am open to advice from more experienced allotmenteers here.

Direct: Peas, Dwarf Beans, Beetroot, Mange Toute, Spring Onions, Radish and Carrots - by filling a wedge in the soil with sharp sand and sowing on that.

Potatoes and onion sets - of course.

In modules and pots: all other Brassicas, Tomatoes, Runner Beans, Broad Beans, Sweetcorn and all Squashes.

They'll be others I've forgotten, but have I got the right idea please?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Which seeds can I sow direct?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 20:15 »
In theory you can sow leeks close together in a seedbed and transplant them.

Runner, French,  and broad beans can all be sown direct, but you have to leave them a bit later to wait for better weather.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 20:24 »
Direct -parsnips,
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 23:21 »
Spinach, florence fennel, long red onions, dill, oriental veggies such as mispoona, mizuna, mibuna, lettuces and chicories, pak choi and tatsoi

BabbyAnn

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 06:25 »
broad beans can be sown direct too - for early sowings, put a cloche over to help warm up the soil for germination and then try to harden off as reasonably possible (you don't want sappy growth especially IF we get warm sunshine)  ;)

My only problem with sowing smaller seeds direct (beans and peas not too much of a problem) is that weed seeds seem to germinate in the very same row where I sowed the seeds  ::)

Kirpi

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 12:19 »
"My only problem with sowing smaller seeds direct (beans and peas not too much of a problem) is that weed seeds seem to germinate in the very same row where I sowed the seeds"

Yes - this is what has put me off sowing direct before.

I have also always sowed peas into guttering before planting out because I fear the slugs will chew them off as soon as they show through.

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 14:11 »
This is why you sow them in a line so you can identify the veg from the weed seeds. 

You can't have it both ways. You either sow direct and risk the weed problem, or sow into modules and then plant out the larger veg plants.  It's your choice  :)

BabbyAnn

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 16:15 »
This is why you sow them in a line so you can identify the veg from the weed seeds. 

I think you may have misunderstood me CQ - the weed seedlings germinate actually in the same row and are not that easy to identify or pull out at the early stage.  By the time you identify what is what, the seedlings are disturbed when pulling out the weeds

There is another choice - let the weeds germinate, hoe off, wait until another germination and hoe off again, then sow later.  I've found it's the early sowings that can be a problem.

Kirpi

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 21:05 »
... by which time I could have started the seeds in modules and root trainers and dibbed them in once I have hoed the weeds off a couple of times.

I could be returning to my old method of planting seedlings rather than sowing direct. seed wastage would be less.

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 22:24 »
I know where you're coming from BA with the weeds germinating at the same time but you can usually tell them apart if you let them grow a bit and you can distinguish which is which as the weeds will be all over the place and random but your veg seedlings will be in a straight line.  Gently tugging out the weeds doesn't hurt your growing veg seedlings. They say that it actually helps matters as you aerate the roots of the veggies. Whether that's true or not I can't say

Kirpi   Sowing direct is possible for many veg so don't be put off. It's easier and less hassle if you can raise the veg this way.  For some veg though they're best grown under glass and planted out when they're bigger and can cope with the cut and thrust of the open plot  :)

Kirpi

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 22:57 »
Thanks compost queen. I think this year is going to be a learning year - well, aren't they all!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 07:33 »
Try a few sown direct seeds, as it is far less faff if you can get away with it.  It depends a lot on your soil though.  My plot is fairly heavy soil and I find direct sowing wastes more seed than it grows.  Most of the folk on my site start stuff in modules and plant  out :)

When doing modules, I use largish ones and sow things in clumps whenever possible.  I plant the whole clump out, spaced along a row to make it quick and easy.  Beetroot, turnips, onions, spring onions and salad leaves all work well this way :)

al78

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 10:07 »
The other problem of sowing direct outdoors is that the seedlings get 2-3 inches high then disappear overnight.

On the other hand, it is much easier to transport packets of seeds to the allotment than trays of seedlings.

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 11:51 »
Yes you will get stuff grazed off in a flash unless you take measures to stop slugs and snails. Also against rabbits that will dig everything up and then there's the pigeons  :D  It's a jungle out there  :lol:

For sowing seeds you need to have got a bit of a tilth going on so do give the area a careful raking, riddling and adding of sand, home made sieved compost etc so you have a free draining medium in which to sow your precious seeds. Don't commit all the packet in one go either. Save some for insurance against the first lot not germinating etc.  Some bigger seeds will germinate in non-too perfect conditions but you have to give them a fighting chance if you want to guarantee success  :)

Kirpi   Every year is a new learning experience. What works one year might not work the next because of the prevailing conditions. Hopefully your plot should improve year on year as you work it and harvest crops which loosens up the soil

al78

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 12:37 »
Yes you will get stuff grazed off in a flash unless you take measures to stop slugs and snails. Also against rabbits that will dig everything up and then there's the pigeons  :D  It's a jungle out there  :lol:

Especially when you are trying to garden organically and build up a harmonious balance of nature so that you don't have to resort to slug pellets and other chemicals.

I am planning to start a few seeds indoors and sow the rest outdoors which should give me more of a chance of getting a crop.

xx
Seeds direct

Started by brendabel18 on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 20:00
by jonny_tinslecat
xx
Anyone else had a problem accessing Premier Seeds Direct?

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 31, 2022, 18:11
by Snowboar
xx
what to sow direct?

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 27, 2013, 04:36
by jay001
xx
What do you sow direct?

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 07:36
by safetrade

Page created in 0.4 seconds with 34 queries.