Gluten free pizza

• 6 Replies

Janeymiddlewife

Gluten free pizza
« on: June 22, 2010, 18:25 »
Have gone gluten free & feeling so much better - has anyone ever successfully made GF pizza dough - it's the one thing I really miss having! So far I haven't tried to make any doughs or cakes/biscuits with non wheat flours and not sure how successful they are? but getting a bit bored with flapjacks & rice krispie cakes  ;)

agingchick

• Experienced Member
Re: Gluten free pizza
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 20:19 »
Hi I've not tried pizza yet but cakes and scones from the 'Red Velvet Chocolate Heartache' cookery book are delicious she uses rice flour and vegetables.
Diane
I use to be indecisive now I'm not so sure

mobilekat

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 08:35 »
My Nephew is very gluten intolerant and they buy in pizza bases (but his mum isnt that keen on cooking- so hasnt tried to make her own), she then just adds toppings, they tend to only use these as its easier to know all food is safe for him!

You are lucky you can eat oats, I cant touch them with a barge pole (or not if I have plans within the next 8-10 hours!) and my gran also cant touch them and she is gluten intolerant too!
She has tried using the substitute flours and its best I don't repeat what she says about them, but think you can get OK things with it, but its not good!

Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

purplebean

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 17:42 »
I have a friend who is gluten free and I am sure she makes pizza, I'll ask her and report back

purplebean

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 19:34 »
This is the recipe my friend uses, she's American so the quantities are in cups. I make a lot of American recipes as there are so many vegan cookbooks that are American so I just bought a set of cup measures at the supermarket as that is easier than trying to convert to weights.

Gluten Free Pizza Crust
adapted from Complete Gluten-Free Cookbook by Donna Washburn and Heather Butt

2/3 C sorghum flour
1/2 C quinoa flour
1/3 C potato starch
1/4 C tapioca starch
1 t granulated sugar
2 t xantham gum
1 T instant yeast
3/4 t salt

1 1/4 C water
1 T olive oil
1 t cider vinegar

Grease a 15x10 inch pan or 16" round pan. Preheat oven to 400.

Combine all dry ingredients. Set aside. Combine wet ingredients. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Mix with beaters or in a food processor until well combined. Book recommends beating for 4 minutes but I haven't noticed that long being necessary.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 12 minutes. Add topping and bake another 10 minutes, or if using Vegan Gourmet cheese, just put it under the broiler for 5 minutes. For best results, use a baking stone.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 18:01 »
Thanks purplebean! Test was apparently negative yesterday, so pigged out last night and really ill this morning - have slept for 2 hours & feel better. Apparently NICE guidelines say that the test should only be done after someone has eaten gluten daily for 6 weeks, otherwise it can give a false negative. I hadn't been eating gluten for a week or 2 and had starved for 2 days before as I was so ill.
Not sure I want to go back & put myself through  6 weeks to prove something I already know! Now I just need to get hold of some sorghum & tapioca flour.....  ;)

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 19:10 »
Have gone gluten free & feeling so much better - has anyone ever successfully made GF pizza dough - it's the one thing I really miss having! So far I haven't tried to make any doughs or cakes/biscuits with non wheat flours and not sure how successful they are? but getting a bit bored with flapjacks & rice krispie cakes  ;)

Don't know about pizza but as for cakes - you just HAVE to try Delia Smith's squidgy chocolate log. I make it in two victoria sandwich tins and then put cream and fruit in the middle and on top. It contains NO flour at all - just eggs, sugar and cocoa powder! And it is scrumptious. Don't worry if the cake sinks when you take it out of the oven, that is why I always put fruit on the top. This isn't a special recipe - it is just in one of her books. Thoroughly recommended!

xx
Gluten Free!!!

Started by Markw on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 07:30
by Milly
xx
Gluten free

Started by barley on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post August 05, 2014, 00:25
by LosingThePlot
xx
gluten free cakes

Started by Debz on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post December 07, 2011, 13:47
by Glosterboy
xx
Gluten free flour

Started by Scribbler on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post February 23, 2016, 16:48
by DanielCoffey

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 35 queries.