Hose pipe ban help

• 22 Replies

Goosegirl

Re: Hose pipe ban help
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 13:50 »
As well as a veg garden we have hens and geese in a large pen, so we're going to leave things as they are, i.e. one of our hosepipes goes from our outdoor tap to an old bath in the pen to give a slow trickle of fresh water for them. I can detach this hose to use in my greenhouse, veg garden, and to fill my water butt up. My ornamental garden will just have to manage without being watered.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Mr Dog

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2018, 22:23 »
We already run under the 'no hosepipes except to fill water butts' rule, because water charges across the borough were getting horrendous, and no one wanted to pay extra for water usage.

Like Aidey, I wish ours would too. Several plot holders will happily leave sprinklers going all night, or day (and they've plumbed into the site main so their tap's behind a locked gate and inaccessible to turn off )  >:( The site's on a meter and the cost is divvied up the following year based on plot area so the many pay for the excesses of the few....

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2018, 06:28 »
We already run under the 'no hosepipes except to fill water butts' rule, because water charges across the borough were getting horrendous, and no one wanted to pay extra for water usage.

Like Aidey, I wish ours would too. Several plot holders will happily leave sprinklers going all night, or day (and they've plumbed into the site main so their tap's behind a locked gate and inaccessible to turn off )  >:( The site's on a meter and the cost is divvied up the following year based on plot area so the many pay for the excesses of the few....

That's horrendous!

AnneB

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2018, 08:38 »

Is your site a Council run one?  Or self-managed?   Such behaviour wouldn't be tolerated on our site, indeed I don't think any of our plotholders would dream of doing such a thing.  If there is nothing about it in your rules, I suggest it ought to be introduced by your committee pronto.  Failure to comply should result in an excess water usage charge or even eviction.   We try and do all we can to save water on our site - most people have barrels to catch rain water and so on.  Ours is a Council site and we each pay £22 per year for water.  I expect because of the hot weather more has been used this year, so we might have an increase next year.

al78

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2018, 14:18 »

That's horrendous!

I agree. Some people in this country really just don't get it, they just seem to live in a world where consequences don't exist. On my site we have tanks filled by mains water and syphoning water from them using a hosepipe is not allowed.

I have found that three watering cans filled from the mains filled tanks with a wheelbarrow to move them to my plot is an efficient way of getting my crops watered for very modest effort. I can water everything I need too in no more than 20 minutes, and I have a full size plot.

Mr Dog

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2018, 21:33 »
Is your site a Council run one?  Or self-managed?   Such behaviour wouldn't be tolerated on our site, indeed I don't think any of our plotholders would dream of doing such a thing.  If there is nothing about it in your rules, I suggest it ought to be introduced by your committee pronto.  Failure to comply should result in an excess water usage charge or even eviction.   We try and do all we can to save water on our site - most people have barrels to catch rain water and so on.  Ours is a Council site and we each pay £22 per year for water.  I expect because of the hot weather more has been used this year, so we might have an increase next year.

When the site secretary is one of those who do it, you're already on a bit of a loser!

AnneB

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2018, 23:02 »

When the site secretary is one of those who do it, you're already on a bit of a loser!

Good grief!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 13:51 by JayG »

Goosegirl

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2018, 13:46 »
That seems to be a case of do as I say, not as I do. Setting by example is so important in these issues, and I hope he's overwatered his plot!  :mad:

xx
hose pipe ban

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 22:08
by Ice
xx
hose pipe ban?

Started by marcofez on Grow Your Own

155 Replies
Last post May 07, 2012, 04:07
by Auntiemogs
xx
Hose pipe ban. Does it apply to us???

Started by andy135 on Grow Your Own

43 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 10:34
by theakston_uk
xx
Hose

Started by Apostrophes on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 10:14
by Kristen

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 46 queries.