Cockerals

• 4 Replies

Sluggs

Cockerals
« on: February 06, 2010, 20:47 »
Hi,
can I ask do hens still cockadoo, two of my chickens, one thought to be a girl started, this one has just a lump on her head yet the other a full comb,  there the same breed, Silkies and same age.
Confused !!  :wacko:

too many girls

Re: Cockerals
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 22:40 »
my silkie cockerals have bumps on their heads and the girls have never cock-a-doodle-doo'd :(

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 22:55 »
silkie girlies have a SMALL, almost non existant walnut comb, boys have much bigger uglier ones, that really do look like wrinkled walnuts.

Although it is very, very, rare, hens CAN crow, I had a brown hybrid who laid every day, AND crowed, and someone on here also said they once had a crowing hen.
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

nicnac

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 20:20 »
Talking about hens cocka - doodle doing,I have the same sort of thing.  I was out in the garden on saturday and Annabell (Well I thought she was an Annabell, maybe she's an Andrew!) cocka - doodle doed 3 times!!  I was rather shocked!!  I havent heard it since.  She has always squared up to the other 2 and fluffed up neck feathers at them so I may I have a cockerel?? She/he is the smallest but is definately in charge! Any thoughts??!! ???
a partner, 1 daughter, 1 dog(Harry, but is a girl!), 1 hamster(pilchard), 2 bunnies(Ben & Jerry), 3 fish(Nemo,Beauty & Beast) & 3 chickens(Captain Jack, even though she's a girl!, Buffy & Annabell)

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 08:42 »
Hi there

How old are they?  We didn't work out our cocks from our hens until they were about 6 months old.

But he/she does sound like she's showing manly behaviour!

Although on the flip side, my friend who keeps chickens had a 18 month old Orpington that decided to stop laying and start crowing for 6 months last year.  She's now reverted back to more lady like tendancies and started laying again.  Weird or what!

xx
are cockerals too big

Started by Ducky on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 26, 2009, 14:14
by Ducky
xx
cockerals

Started by chloe on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 13, 2010, 16:57
by chloe
xx
cockerals

Started by Sluggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 05, 2009, 10:54
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Have I got cockerals?

Started by min200 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2010, 14:08
by stan deakin

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 32 queries.