HELP! Cake decorating

• 15 Replies

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
HELP! Cake decorating
« on: July 03, 2011, 21:28 »
Oh My goodness, what have i done?! Well i have volunteered to decorate my mum and dad's ruby wedding anniversary cake! I can't afford to go on a cake deccorating course and have only every really done very basic stuff ( i know how to use a big nozzle on the icing bag) I plan on buying a topper (cheating monkey!) but can anyone offer any reccommendations/advice etc. I want to do it myself as it is more personal, but fear i may have bitten off more than i can chew.
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: HELP! Cake decorating
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 21:36 »
Calm down, it's not too difficult to produce something that looks special.  How long have you got and what kind of cake would they like?
Cheese makes everything better.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 21:42 »
You can buy ready to roll (or even ready rolled ::) ) fondant icing..so that bit is fairly straightforward :)

You can even buy a cake frill with 'Ruby wedding' on to hide the sides if necessary :D

practice a few royal icing stars for when you have to ice around the bottom of the cake :)

and you can find some suitable decorations here (and other places)

http://www.cakescookiesandcraftsshop.co.uk/acatalog/Cake-Jewel-Decorations.html

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 21:48 »
I've just done a cake decorating course.  Ask on here or pm me if you like.

totalnovice

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 09:21 »
Thanks, i feel much better this morning  :wub: my sister is going to bake the cake, and i have used the ready to roll fondant icing before. Think i am going to check out my local cake supplies shop this morning and see what i can see there, i know wthey do lovely sugar flowers as they did our wedding cake! Am going to practise with the piping bag and I have till the middle of august to get lots in. But don't stand down just yet! many thanks for your offers of support and help, you may yet regret offering. :lol:

I'll post a picture of it in aug so you can laugh at, sorry admire, my efforts :D

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 10:13 »
Get a crimper, it's a great way to get a professional looking edge or border and it takes seconds to do.  Just make sure the paste is still soft.  There's probably a demo on youtube.

totalnovice

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 11:29 »
Just been to the cake shop and bought a crimper! its what the woman recommended. Also bought some icing to practise with. Been to the library and have come home with some books for ideas.

I'm actually quite excited now i'm not panicing!

hamstergbert

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 17:21 »
With my increasingly shaky hands as the years plod on I have found it useful (on the rare occasions I want to write or draw onto icing) to set up a pile of books either side of the cake, slightly higher than the cake, then put a (clean) thick bit of planed wood over like a bridge.  By resting my wrists lightly on that wood bridge it really helps to steady the old hands and so instead of shaky hands spider writing at least is looks like my rubbish handwriting spider writing!    After initial scepticism the memsahib found it to be a useful idea.  First one of mine in forty odd years mind.....
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

totalnovice

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 21:41 »
right then, here is my effort!

I have been making flowers and leaves and stuff all bloomin' month!!! even the jam used to sandwich the cake together is home made! All i bought is the fondant icing and the ribbon!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 21:42 »
Those flowers are beautiful, both in form and colour.  You can be really really proud (and it looks as though you've got the spelling right too  ;)  :lol: )
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 21:43 »
lovely, well done  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

totalnovice

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 21:45 »
Those flowers are beautiful, both in form and colour.  You can be really really proud (and it looks as though you've got the spelling right too  ;)  :lol: )
Thank you - i practised with play doh for ages then with white sugar paste before i dared even try the real things, I actually really enjoyed doing it.

And I got my hubby to shout out the spelling as i went along to make sure it was right

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 21:48 »
Very well done.  It's not easy doing something that will be so important and visible to so many others.  Will you do more now?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 10:14 »
Well done you, it looks really lovely :)

totalnovice

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 07:54 »
Very well done.  It's not easy doing something that will be so important and visible to so many others.  Will you do more now?
I'm not sure, probably for family and friends but it took so much work with the flowers, and so many hours to ge them right that i would need loads of notice! My sisters 30 is in 4 years, so if i start work now.... :lol:
I'm really proud of it, and everyone was stunned by it! Thanks for you help and advise Ice.

xx
cake decorating

Started by g1ggles on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post October 13, 2011, 18:42
by g1ggles
xx
cake decorating

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post November 18, 2014, 13:01
by chrissie B
xx
tea cake

Started by Piccolo on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post January 04, 2011, 19:45
by Piccolo
xx
carrot cake

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2014, 13:20
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 36 queries.