Onion Storing

• 9 Replies

sweet nasturtium

Onion Storing
« on: August 03, 2007, 00:46 »
Any ideas?  I'm completely new to this.  I've harvested some a little too early as they weren't that big.  How do you know when they are ready?  To be honest I'm really dying to plait them together - should I wait til the tops are dry?  Do you plait them like you would do a hairstyle?

leeky

Onion Storing
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 00:53 »
When they lay down i think is the right time. I took some early though and they were ok.

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
Onion Storing
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 07:53 »
Use nylon stocking/tights leg to  store the onions on once dry.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Onion Storing
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 07:57 »
Quote from: "loubylou29"
Use nylon stocking/tights leg to  store the onions on once dry.

Mmmmm stockings....

muntjac

Onion Storing
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 12:35 »
first what onions are they was they sets or seed .,. to harvest onions  you should be looking at them being 2.5 inches across ,some will be smaller but go for a majority . a late feed of sulphate of potash wil give results if thrown on now 1/2 oz to sq yard, watch for the tips of the leaves turningh brown and crispy about 6 inches down is a good thing to aim for, now turn te tops down flat to the ground laying in all one direction . put a fork loosly under the onion to break the soil around the roots lift gently but dont remove it from the ground ... now sit back and watch them dry out till end sept or earlier if we get lots sun the leaves will go all brown and crispy . lift them  rub the soil from the roots and lay down to finish drying the roots off for a couple days ,they should fall away when they are ready ,, now you can plait them into strings or tie a string loop around them to hang in a dry airy shed , i dont put mine in sacks or anything as i like to keep an eye on them for any rot setting in on the crowns .use the smaller ones up as you like , try roasting a couple big ones for 45 mins with a sunday joint  :wink:
still alive /............

Trillium

Onion Storing
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 14:25 »
...and any with thick necks must be used first as they won't store at all. I used to store mine in mesh bags but now lay them flat on slatted shelves for better air circulation. Easier to see which start to sprout and need to be used first. Just finishing my last 2 from last year.
As for plaiting them, even a small bag of onions is heavy so use very strong string like polypropolene.

sweet nasturtium

Onion Storing
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 12:13 »
Thanks Muntjac for all your advice.  I think I was far too keen to get mine out and will wait a bit longer.

Loubylou I think I prefer the plaiting idea - found an article on how to do it.  

Sadgit if you really need an excuse to go to a lingerie department and buy some stockings that's your private matter!!

Trillium - glad to hear they last the year - I use loads of onions and will definitely increase the crop next year.  Some of mine do have thick necks - any ideas how to avoid that in future?

WG.

Onion Storing
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 12:57 »
Quote from: "nasturtium"
  Some of mine do have thick necks - any ideas how to avoid that in future?
Less nitrogen.

muntjac

Onion Storing
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 14:04 »
more potash and super phosphate

Trillium

Onion Storing
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 17:06 »
Doing what WG and Munty suggest is all fine, but I suspect that some onions are genetically predisposed to thicker necks which usually means onions that want to throw up seed heads more readily than others. You can only do your best and be aware that sometimes you'll still get thick necked onions.

question
STORING ONION SETS

Started by kungfupanda on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 07:35
by DD.
xx
What is a good storing onion ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 04, 2012, 15:08
by gobs
xx
Storing Onion Sets

Started by MyAchingBack on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 06, 2013, 09:30
by MyAchingBack
xx
Storing onion sets

Started by pepper on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 31, 2008, 20:49
by gobs

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 38 queries.