serious potato problem "help"

• 24 Replies

vron

• Experienced Member
serious potato problem "help"
« on: July 04, 2010, 19:34 »
Hi everyone we have a serious potato problem with my 2nd earlies International Kidney.

They were planted on 18/4/10 (11weeks ago) Every thing was going ok until 2 weeks ago when we noticed that 5 plants had started to go yellow on their top new leaf growth.

These were on the end of the first 2 rows right next to each other.  The leaves were a very bright lemon, surrounded by very healthy looking deep green.  All the others plants appear to be ok.
The tubers were planted in 9 inch deep trenches, covered with Humax then a 6-9inch layer of soil, followed by a good sprinkle of growmore and earthed right up. (I'm very lazy and hate earthing up)

We looked at Dr DG Hessayons vegetable problems book and the yellowing looked just like magnesium deficiency, so until we could obtain epsom salts we gave the potatoes a feed of Wilkinsons Super Grow which contains Magnesium.

This had no effect what so ever, in fact within 2 days, 1 plant had collapsed and died, when dug up there was a very poor root system and very few tiny baby tubers, so it was disposed of.

The other 4 affected plants I dug up today, the roots system looks good, but all the baby tubers are deformed and are very few again.

One of the seed tubers was very soft so it was cut open and you can see for yourselves what it looks like in the pics we are posting.  One of the baby tubers was cut open as it to was soft and there was minute white insects inside??
Will post the pics over several posts as there are a lot to see.

Please can anyone help solve this problem.
Vron
Leaf yellowing1.jpg
Leaf yellowing4.jpg
Leaf yellowing6.jpg
Vron, Tara & Harley. (The black beastie)

"The more people I meet, the more I like my Dogs"

vron

• Experienced Member
Re: serious potato problem "help"
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 19:37 »
More pics
Seed tuber1.jpg
1st seed tuber - 1st half.jpg
1st seed tuber - 2nd half.jpg
2nd seed tuber in half.jpg

vron

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 19:41 »
more pics. These are the 3rd and 4th seed tubers cut in half and the next ones are the deformed baby new potato tubers .
3rd seed tuber in half.jpg
4th seed tuber in half.jpg
Deformed new tubers1.jpg
Deformed new tubers3.jpg

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 19:42 »
Have you any other variety of spud? If so I take it they are OK.

Have you used any manure on them?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

vron

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 19:44 »
And more pics.
Thats the lot folks, hope you can help us.
vron
Leaf yellowing2.jpg
Leaf yellowing3.jpg
Leaf yellowing5.jpg

vron

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 19:48 »
Yes, we had some well rotted 18mth old organic horse manure at the end of last season from Bham University Farm.
Our Maris Bard/Maris Piper and King Edward seem perfectly ok so far, will dig some Maris Bard up on tuesday and see what they are like and let everyone know.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 19:55 »
If it really is organic and the other spuds are unaffected, it's not what I was thinking it may be. (Aminopyralid).

missycat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 20:26 »
I can't really see what the insects look like ...could it be wireworm small white wiry worms...difficult to squash?

Or potato eelworm (very tiny I think) look at http://www.fedaga.org.uk/node/126

sorry don't know how to put in a link
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 20:32 by missycat »

mobilekat

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 21:25 »
I think you are still right DD.

The big issue with Aminopyralid has been is sneaking into places where it shouldnt be!

So much hay, haylage and silage has been contaminated by it its ridiculous!- its already be proven to have been found in bagged organic compost!

And the history of normal growth and then leaves turning yellow matchs the normal occurrence.

I hope I am wrong- and some one has a better idea!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 22:36 »
But I don't recall aminopyralid affecting tubers like that?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 22:45 »
Or potato eelworm (very tiny I think) look at http://www.fedaga.org.uk/node/126

sorry don't know how to put in a link

That's a good link, although even with my not fantastically wonderful varifocal specs on I don't need a magnifying glass to see the cysts on the roots! Vron's root picture is not sharp enought to tell one way or the other, and I have to say that although I have eelworm on my plot the affected spuds were small and few in number, not deformed.

Not much help I know but it is a pest which is fairly easy to rule in or out.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 09:06 »
It really does look like Aminopyralid damage. Do you compost your grass clippings, some broadleaf weedkiller lawn applications contain a similar chemical? Sadly this menace will be with us for many years

Ivor Backache

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 12:24 »
The aminopyralid aguement does not explain the isolated five plants that are affected. I have had a similar scenario with two plants in different parts of the allotment. Both main crop (Maris Piper and Desiree) Plants turned yellow and died. I removed the haulms and burnt them but haven't checked the tubers. My problem was potato blackleg which is caused by poor seed. Plenty of info on the net. May be worth a check?

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 12:52 »
That is chemical damage.
Possible causes are that something containing a chemical has been put onto the area that the potatoes grow in or maybe someone has sprayed a chemical by accident which has just blown on to them.

Chemical damage causes the strange haulms and malformed tubers.
Visit my website and view my potato blog and videos.

vron

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 17:40 »
Thank you for all your replies, I will try to give a little more history.

1:  The horse manure was a shared load between ourselves and another plot holder across the way from us, he has not had any of these problems, in fact his crops are looking wonderful.  His potatoes are going great guns.

2: The plotholder ajoining us had a load delivered early this year from the same place and he has no problems either.

3:  We work on a 4 year rotation, all the other spuds are doing fine, the haulms are looking very green and healthy.

4:  The manure was also used on our brassicas/leeks/onions and lettuces with no problems.

5:  We have 2 seperate A-frames of runner beans, the one A-frame is perfect, but the leaves are looking a little pale.  The other A-frame is on the same side as the potatoes, lthese are also looking very pale and one side of the beans have withered and died, so had to resow more r/beans to replace them.

We don't use any weedkiller or sprays on our lottie or at home so that rules out any grass cuttings
After reading Iain@JBA's post I think he is right "chemical poisoning"

Why do I think this, well I am chairperson of our allotments committee and about 3-4 weeks ago there was a malicious attack of vandalism on our plot by another plotholder, whom I must have offended doing my  duty.  No other lotties or crops where touched other than ours.

We have built 2, 12'x10' brassica cages, one night somebody slashed the complete side of one of them and pushed down one of the runner bean A-frames.  The rest of the plot and crops appeared to be ok, this would be about a week before the potatoes showed these symptoms.

My lottie neighbour had thought it was deliberate poisoning but we did not think that there would be anyone that would stoop that low, still you live and learn don't you.

Opinions please.
vron

xx
Wild "weeds" nearby - a problem or a good thing?

Started by bb_odiham on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 16, 2008, 19:53
by bb_odiham
xx
Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 12:00
by crh75
xx
Strange "problem". Oversized veg

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 15:32
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
When to harvest potato "tomatoes"

Started by barney rubble on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 18:51
by barney rubble

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 34 queries.