Stuff you won't bother with in future

• 40 Replies

brownp

• Experienced Member
Re: Stuff you won't bother with in future
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2023, 16:12 »
For me it is cucumbers….a lot of hassle for no return ( we do well with courgettes) and we rarely buy them.
Also Romanesco califlowers….🤔

wighty

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2023, 16:13 »
Please send all donations of runner beans here to the Island.  My address  is' Lady Muck of Dung Hill Castle'.  Well that's what my Dad would have said.  No , any runner bean donations would be very welcome  here. Broad beans and peas as well, my girls (from my first marriage, would cheer that we were having peas for dinner (not the only  thing I gave them!).  Paul can't eat them or sweetcorn so we don't have that either.

Candide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2023, 22:05 »
Two of more exotic stuff:  agretti and Chinese artichokes

AndyRVTR

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2023, 07:50 »
Where do I start! I've had a few failures this year, more than likely due to the cr*p weather we've had this year. Beetroot has been my biggest failure, despite bei g new seed, 3 direct sowings and 1 sowing in cells, they all failed, no growth at all and a good % just went to seed!
Courgettes, I grew 3 varieties and all had rotten ends before reaching maturity. In the past, I've just chucked them in and let them get on with it withput any care and had a glut every year?
Butternut squash.. I tried them for the first time this year and didn't get a single squash.. but flamin heck they don't half take up a lot of ground space, which I'm pretty short of in the first place!
Apples.. both my dwarf varieties of apple trees were decimated again this year, what with an ongoing battle with aphids & ants and no fruit to speak of, I've removed them from the garden and I'll just buy fruit from the supermarket from now on!  :D

wighty

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2023, 16:02 »
Courgettes.  Since we emptied the compost maker bin onto the garden and spread it around we've only ever had male flowers.  I get a bit cross when I see all your reports of 'gluts'.  This is about our fourth year and not any more.  It might be our soil here as my FIL can grow marrows but only has minimal success with courgettes.
Having been on the Island for 35  years or so now, the vagarities of what works where never fails to amaze me.  We're five miles from the famous Garlic Farm, where I buy it, and I get   puny bulbs so don't bother.  (Won't subsidise Colin Boswell either as he is a ................................................) Sorry private Island comment there.

whaleroad

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2023, 18:58 »
Maybe chard. I grew it because it was pretty (rainbow variety) and it really was very instagrammable. I made every chard recipe from Nigel Slater's Tender book and came to the conclusion that it really doesn't taste very nice.

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2023, 19:47 »
I was going to say brassicas, then I went up the plot today and they are doing so well, eaten by slugs and CWB and  they were looking stripped, they have put on a massive spurt and are looking super so hopefully we get something
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2023, 20:53 »
Maybe chard. I grew it because it was pretty (rainbow variety) and it really was very instagrammable. I made every chard recipe from Nigel Slater's Tender book and came to the conclusion that it really doesn't taste very nice.

I think Rainbow chard is pretty strongly flavoured and am not that keen myself, but try some better varieties before you give up on chard for good. 

For green chard with a white midrib I grow Lucullus and for purple chard with a red midrib I grow Fire Fresh.  Both are much cleaner tasting, without that earthy almost metallic tang that Rainbow has.

AnneB

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2023, 21:31 »
Cucamelons.  They taste foul.  Celeriac.  Can't get them to grow larger than a walnut, despite copious watering.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2023, 15:21 »
One veggie I'm definitely going to ditch is determinate tomatoes, all varieties. 
They seem to attract blight like a magnet. :mad:

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

AnneB

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2023, 18:42 »
One veggie I'm definitely going to ditch is determinate tomatoes, all varieties. 
They seem to attract blight like a magnet. :mad:

Cheers,  Tony.
I grow Crimson Crush as a determinate tomato.  It is supposed to be a cordon, but sprouts in all directions.  It would be hard trying to rein it in as a cordon.  Very productive and blight resistant too

Ali T

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2023, 13:57 »
Dwarf purple french beans....they look SO pretty but having to scrabble around in the dirt to pick them is a total pain in the back! Plus they are SO productive I couldn't keep up! Climbing frenchies for me next year!  :D

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2023, 22:02 »
Im still on the fence about this, but Im considering adding Tromoncino to the list. I have huge vines that have only produced 2 edible squash.

I grow Tromboncino after squash vine borers finish off my first courgette planting of the season. The borers dont get them but the (later) pickle worm do, so maybe I should just grow them early, with the courgettes?
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Goosegirl

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2023, 10:36 »
Dwarf purple french beans....they look SO pretty but having to scrabble around in the dirt to pick them is a total pain in the back! Plus they are SO productive I couldn't keep up! Climbing frenchies for me next year!  :D
Love DF beans but never grown purple ones. As long as they are very tasty I don't mind scrabbling for them! I only got 4 DF beans to grow this year but have had a few boilings despite one being decimated by a nasty slug or snail.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Marijke Jones

• Newbie on the veggie growing front
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2023, 12:33 »
In my case it will be red cabbage. They done very badly and are gigantic.

xx
Planning for the future

Started by colinc on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 28, 2011, 21:19
by Yorkie
xx
Thinking about the future.

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2020, 14:23
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
Preparing for the future

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 18, 2018, 08:49
by Offwego
xx
Back to the future spuds!

Started by rictic on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 17:56
by Iain@JBA

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 51 queries.