HOW WIDE AND WHY

• 5 Replies

DANNY

HOW WIDE AND WHY
« on: November 13, 2008, 22:41 »
It may seem an odd subject to have on this thread but one well worth thinking about Im talking about paths and how wide you should have them.

Im in what I call my winter work mode having just this last 6 month bought a piece of land (approx 1 acre) that was for many years used as an allotment by my french niegbours late husband but its not been used for 5 years and so Im back to the virgine stage of ground and today while marking out the size of the main pathway a friend called round and asked why I,d made the path 6feet wide?
The reason is to be able to have 2 wheel barrows pass each other at the same time, also for the machines ie rotovator, mini tractor with small trailer to get down the path with manure/ compost loaded etc.

Its a mistake Ive seen made many times Not to have good wide paths
and as Im sure many of us gardeners will be thinking of plans for new sites I thought I,d pass my thought on this subject on.
KEEN GARDENER ENJOYS ALL ASPECS OF THE COUNTRYSIDE

beestie-crawlies

• Experienced Member
HOW WIDE AND WHY
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 08:20 »
Sounds reasonable to have paths that wide if you have the space.

I'm constructing a path down the middle of the plot myself, although it's only one stride wide, this leaves me with 4 strides either side for the beds, then between the beds I'm only leaving a gap of rake head. (Plot itself is 9 x 18 strides.)

Traditional measuring equipment used on my plot. :lol:  :lol:

I'm working on the basis that I should only need to run a wheelbarrow up either the middle path or the ones on each side of the plot.

Everyone has differing ideas, talk to any of the old boys on a site and they suck their teeth like car mechanics when you start telling them your putting a path in. :shock:
Now your grips too strong
You can't catch love with a net or a gun
Gotta keep faith that your path will change
Gotta keep faith that your luck will change tomorrow
'James'

DANNY

HOW WIDE AND WHY
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 20:47 »
Quote from: "beestie-crawlies"
Sounds reasonable to have paths that wide if you have the space.

I'm constructing a path down the middle of the plot myself, although it's only one stride wide, this leaves me with 4 strides either side for the beds, then between the beds I'm only leaving a gap of rake head. (Plot itself is 9 x 18 strides.)

Traditional measuring equipment used on my plot. :lol:  :lol:

I'm working on the basis that I should only need to run a wheelbarrow up either the middle path or the ones on each side of the plot.

Everyone has differing ideas, talk to any of the old boys on a site and they suck their teeth like car mechanics when you start telling them your putting a path in. :shock:

Yes I know what you mean ref ideas and how some folk have one way of thinking and the likes of you and me have our way.

Ive waited so long to be in a possition to both have the time (retired early) and get hold of a nice private piece of land to start afresh,
I like the allotment for 2 reasons, (1) its a place you can go during the week and enjoy your own company and nature (2) know what your growing is good / safe to eat food.
Ive decided to have 4 rotation beds and 1 perennial bed,

Ive been toying with the idea of having Lavender around the edges of one plot, and box around some of the others,
I did see an allotment layed out in a really nice looking way and as the owner said to me the idea is to get the bee,s in and have a site thats a pure pleasure to come to daily, he called his plot PARADISE, and it was just that, every thing from the shed to the fruit area, veg, flowers.
it really gave me the urge to do very much the same and the good thing about here in france is the land is still a good price to buy and we get some really good weather and not to long a winter.

beestie-crawlies

• Experienced Member
HOW WIDE AND WHY
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 00:33 »
I like the lavender idea.

I planted 9 lavender by the front path in march, bees went wild for them. :lol:  :lol:

Had a personal competion to count the most bees in a sitting on them.

Managed 14 bees on 9 plants at the same time. From dawn to dusk they were never without bees, obviously word spreads fast in bee comunities?

Must plant some more in the back next year, in fact thinking about it, I might put a couple on the plot!  :shock:  :D  :D  :D

compostqueen

HOW WIDE AND WHY
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 10:43 »
my  lotty neighbour has a central slabbed path edged with lavenders. Old picket gate and a boundary fence clothed with flowering shrubs.  It looks a picture  :D   Lots of fruit and veg too obviously
 :D

I have a 3 foot wide main path and I think you need it for manoeuvring wheel barrows and such

DANNY

HOW WIDE AND WHY
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 22:49 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
my  lotty neighbour has a central slabbed path edged with lavenders. Old picket gate and a boundary fence clothed with flowering shrubs.  It looks a picture  :D   Lots of fruit and veg too obviously
 :D

I have a 3 foot wide main path and I think you need it for manoeuvring wheel barrows and such

You must admit there is nothing like gardening, Ive had visitors round saying things like "are you still in that garden,? Every time we come your doing gardening"

And then comes the bit "Oh they look nice" I,d love to try one of them"

Or tomatoes from the shops just dont have any taste,

"No" I think its great to find a hobby you really enjoy, it dosent matter what the weather, if you cant do anything in the outside areas you can always curl up infront of the fire and read or plan your next bed or plot.

xx
Wanted Polly Tunnel 15foot long by 10/12 foot wide

Started by Ladyrose56 on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post September 10, 2008, 23:49
by Ladyrose56

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 38 queries.