Cold frame recommendations

• 2 Replies

Willow_Warren

Cold frame recommendations
« on: April 15, 2012, 07:25 »
I'm looking to get a cold frame to harden off some of my plants, and perhaps for proving some protection for some of the bits we are growing outside (we live in a very windy area).

Can anyone recommend me a cold frame? I have looked at a few on various websites but the price does vary a lot... I thought about it but I don't thing I have the time to build anything...

Thanks

Hannah

grendel

Re: Cold frame recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 08:35 »
nothing easier, old double glazed window (opening) on a wooden frame. opening to outwards, and you have a coldframe.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Cold frame recommendations
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 10:21 »
Can't recommend a particular model but my aluminium-framed cold frame has done sterling service for at least 10 years, and the 2 panes I've had to replace (both broken as the result of little "accidents" which were my fault!) were cheap and easy to replace as they are sheets of standard horticultural class cut in half.

Advantages are the extra glass compared to those with only top lights, which means you can stand it on bricks/concrete blocks/whatever to gain extra height for taller crops without reducing the light levels too much.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
New cold frame

Started by Rangerkris on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post February 21, 2010, 22:09
by sunshineband
xx
cold frame

Started by rowlandwells on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 09, 2021, 11:46
by rowlandwells
xx
cold frame

Started by noshed on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post April 17, 2006, 22:30
by John
xx
Movable Cold Frame

Started by rossco on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 17:53
by veggieman

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 39 queries.