would it work?

• 13 Replies

binner

• Experienced Member
would it work?
« on: December 14, 2009, 17:35 »
i posted a thread a couple of weeks back when my seed potato's arrived about how to store them, plenty of good advice and thankyou all that replied, however i have just had an idea.
i have a spare fridge in the house i use for maggots as the OH will not entertain fishing bait in the fridge lol(cant understand why like ???) so could i set the temp of the fridge to 4 degree and keep my seed tatties in there? its cool and dark??????? plus it would be easier to check on them than digging them out from the back of the shed and un wrapping them all the time
cheers dave
first year grower

madcat

Re: would it work?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 18:08 »
Might be a bit damp ....  I'm worrying about condensation ...   :unsure:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 19:45 »
ah right, any1 else got any thoughts on this?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 20:49 »
 ??? Can't understand why the OH won't let you keep maggots in the main fridge, mine does  :D

Anyhow couldn't you open the door once in a while to help with condensation or a big bowl of salt in the bottom of the fridge would absorb moisture and you could bake it dry again when it got damp
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 23:20 »
You could try just a few in the fridge to see if this would work for another time.

And... how about putting some of that white, crystal like powder that absorbs moisture next to the spuds? It is the sort that is sold for putting in compost when planting up hanging baskets... it is also used in "gel packs" (soaked in water and frozen for 1st Aid use).

Just a thought.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

peterjf

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 23:52 »
place your seed spuds on the garage floor, on top of news papers then cover with newspaper and a piece of cloth that stops ALL THE LIGHT getting to the tubers

viettaclark

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 13:34 »
Why are my recently bought spuds for cooking chitting away merrily in a light-free cupboard? Is it too warm?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 14:21 »
Why are my recently bought spuds for cooking chitting away merrily in a light-free cupboard? Is it too warm?

Yes: put them in a black bin-liner and find somewhere cooler away from a heat source and nearer the floor (unless you've got underfloor heating!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

gillie

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 15:16 »
What kind of spuds?  A lot of supermarket spuds will have been treated with an inhibitor to prevent sprouting.  Organic ones and any others bought direct from a farm will not.

Remember that we keep spuds in the dark to prevent them greening, not to prevent them chitting.  I would store seed potatoes in the light, to keep any shoots as short as possible.

Also if you put them on garage floors or similar you will probably have a mouse problem.

Gillie

noshed

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 15:42 »
I would tend to steer clear of plastic bags though - in case they sweat. Paper or cardboard is best in a cool, dry place.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

zazen999

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 15:58 »
They could chit now; better to have smaller chits and just rub the longer ones off in March than faff about trying to store them until Mid Jan....

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 16:15 »
Think the thread is getting a bit confused here; I was advising about Viettaclark's cooking spuds on the assumption she only needs to keep them for a couple of weeks.

Binner's original seed potato question obviously requires a different answer as he needs to keep his in good condition for chitting in a month or so.

binner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 16:40 »
i think they can stay where they are anyway, wrapped up in hessian sacks in the shed for now.

thankyou anyway :happy:

Paul Plots

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 20:45 »
Diverse thinking then! ???

xx
I have a lot of work to do....

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 30, 2011, 14:30
by gavinjconway
xx
Work To Be Done

Started by South Downs Wayer on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 22:24
by matron
xx
would this work?

Started by chrissiethechippy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 09, 2007, 20:36
by richyrich7
xx
How will this work?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post February 23, 2012, 11:41
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 37 queries.