swollen/impacted crop?

• 3 Replies

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
swollen/impacted crop?
« on: August 24, 2008, 19:27 »
Hi
I got my chooks 3 days ago, & one I noticed had one side of her chest slightly more rounded than the other side.I noticed this yesterday,but thought it was probably the way she ruffled her feathers.
Today when I put them in their coop after free ranging,I noticed it was even more rounded/swollen on the same side.I felt it,it's like quite a solid lump about the size of an apple.It seemed quite warm to the touch too.
Could it be an impacted crop?She's 19 wks old.I started free ranging them, & she has been eating alot of greenery & bugs,which she was not previously used to doing.She seems quite happy in herself,she's been eating as normal.I haven't given them treats,only mixed corn,& layers pellets.
If anyone could help I'd be very grateful
Queenie - Bella - Mabel - Clara

Foxy

swollen/impacted crop?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 19:37 »
It ismore usual to have a large crop in the evening,some birds just eat more than others! :D
Best to check in the morning before they eat anything and you should find her crop more or less empty.
If your birds are free ranging they should get enough grit to help grind the food in her crop, as a precaution as they are young might be a good idea to have grit available for them. Hope this helps!

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
swollen/impacted crop?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 19:49 »
thanks foxy.All they seem to do is eat,poo,eat,poo :shock:They really are little jcb's.They systematically worked their way up my border today,destroying everything as they went (mostly weeds  :lol: ) Hopefully she's just made a pig of herself!She looks lop sided,her right side looks rounder than her left.I will check her in the morning.I seem to fret about everything!I feel like a new mum :shock:

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
swollen/impacted crop?
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 19:57 »
mine tend to have a solid crop when they've just gorged themselves on pellets, so it's quite normal if it's just after they've been fed.

Speaking of which, I really must go and do that now  :)

xx
Swollen chest ??? or Impacted crop??? Not sure!

Started by HENrietta on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 02, 2009, 22:24
by HENrietta
xx
Impacted Crop in 4 week old chick (Modified - It's Sour Crop)

Started by kegs on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 14:48
by New shoot
xx
impacted crop

Started by nicchick on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 16:57
by Foxy
xx
Is this impacted crop?

Started by Bubbles on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 31, 2009, 14:09
by Bubbles

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 36 queries.