Roosting outside

• 2 Replies

Pavlodge

Roosting outside
« on: October 30, 2013, 07:34 »
For some time now my Hens have been Roosting outside & not using the coops .  Also they are not laying at all I have 15 Hens & 1 Cockerel (Who I'm pretty sure is Gay)  . During the Summer & from time to time They free range around the place . I Did find a couple of large clutches of Eggs but not found anything since September other than a few eggs in the coops occasionally .  I did have a Red mite issue in the summer but pretty sure that is now cleared up.   Any advice welcome .

Sassy

Re: Roosting outside
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 08:49 »
Depending on the age and breeding of your chooks the shorter days are a natural time for them to stop laying and they often moult at this time as well. If they are moulting this takes a lot of energy so they will not lay eggs as well as re-feather. It is always worth checking in case they are laying away, especially as this has happened before. Also ensure your red mite has cleared up - you can use a white pce of paper folded once or twice and slot it into crevices and slide around, if it comes out with red on it you still have red mite.

Do make sure you are not feeding too many treats - fat hens don't lay eggs! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Roosting outside
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 10:24 »
I would second all that Sassy has said.  I would also discourage them from laying free range as eggs left out will encourage rats.  Check the coop as advised for red mite and if all is clear entice your flock back to the coop with a small amount of treats before dark.  Lock them away in the coop and do this each night for as long as it takes for them to return to the coop of their own accord. 

Make sure that there is not an issue with the ventilation or overcrowding which could also cause them to not use the coop.  :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Roosting

Started by Heidi on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 14, 2008, 12:51
by Kym503
question
roosting

Started by tweed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 21:19
by ChristyRose
xx
Roosting

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 08, 2011, 21:06
by daisy1990
xx
roosting or not?

Started by jeannie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 23, 2012, 10:20
by jeannie

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 28 queries.