A Few Odd Questions about some "common" veg.

• 52 Replies

LotuSeed

A Few Odd Questions about some "common" veg.
« on: April 09, 2015, 02:04 »
Last year during strawberry season I bought some rhubarb at Whole Foods, but couldn't bring myself to cook or eat it. It looks too much like celery. Does it have the consistency of celery? The stringiness I mean?

What do broad beans taste like? Are they anything like lima beans? I've only ever seen them IRL on one occasion. Are they sweet like peas?

What the heck is a gherkin? I kind of understand the concept, but are they anything like pickling cucumbers?

Lastly, leeks. Are they like a cross between a potato and an onion? Or something else entirely?

Obviously the easiest way to find out would be to try them myself, but aside from the leeks, they're either not a common part of American cuisine and thusly not readily available or they aren't in season.

Thanks in advance for help with answering these burning queries of mine☺️

Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: A Few Odd Questions about some "common" veg.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 06:39 »
Hi LotuSeed,

Rhubarb is gorgeous. If it's stewed it has visible fibres, but these are soft, not stringy. If it's roasted it holds it shape and is soft. I absolutely love it and while it grows like billy-o for most people I have a miserable track record so far in getting anything close to even a measly harvest. :(

Broad beans are fava beans. They are sweet when they are young, and more 'meaty' when bigger. OH loves them, I am starting to like them the more I have them. We make felafel & pesto with them, as well as using in risottos etc.

Yes, gherkins are pickling cucumbers - picked small for cornichons and larger for pickling as mini cucumbers.

Leeks = onion family. Peppery but a bit gentler and more earthy than onions or garlic. 

Am surprised most of those aren't staples over there with you guys. Though I do remember my friend taking rhubarb seed over with her to the states when she moved.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 07:44 »
I echo what Surbie has said.

Rhubarb is delicious. You do need to cook it with sugar and it is wonderful in pies, crumbles, cakes and a variety of jams. It is traditional British fare with custard.

Broad beans also make up into lovely summer salad with lemon, garlic and olive oil, and a light houmous.

Leeks are also widely used here in so many ways. Leek and potato soup is  traditional too.

cadalot

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 08:17 »
Gherkins are like Marmite you love them or hate them. :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 09:07 »
With Gherkins it depends on the pickling liquid, whether I like them or not.
I like them in the less acidic dill pickling mixes - rather than the one used for pickled onions!

I like baby leeks in a salad, as they're milder than raw onions.

chrissie B

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 16:42 »
If your buying gerkins we love the lidl ones with chillie and come in a range of sizes.
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 16:56 »

Lotuseed, 
if you lot hadn't have been so snotty and ditched that tea into Boston habour (note the correct spelling of HARBOUR),  all these facts would have been second nature. :lol:

No then, what the heck are GRITS?

Cheers,  Tony. :) :) :) :)
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Sparkyrog

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 17:08 »

Lotuseed, 
if you lot hadn't have been so snotty and ditched that tea into Boston habour (note the correct spelling of HARBOUR),  all these facts would have been second nature. :lol:

HMM  :lol: :lol: :lol:
I cook therefore I grow

Mrs Bee

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 20:42 »
Grits are coarsely ground maize or corn which is boiled with milk or water to a porridge. ;)

LotuSeed

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 01:59 »
Surbie, maybe it's a generational thing. My grandmother is very familiar with it and said they used to call it "pie plant".

Gherkins are like Marmite you love them or hate them. :D

What's Marmite???? The comparison is only useful if what the thing that's referenced is known to me! Baaahhhhh 😳 lol

If your buying gerkins we love the lidl ones with chillie and come in a range of sizes.
chrissie b
I don't know that I've ever actually seen them in grocery stores before. Now I'm curious.

Lotuseed, 

Grits are a Southern food. I'm a Northerner.  I don't mind about the tea, I prefer coffee anyway.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 06:08 by LotuSeed »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 05:47 »
Marmite is a yeast extract spread used in sandwiches or on toast over here LotuSeed.  Some love it and others think it is the food of the devil.  Opinion is completely divided and there is no middle ground on that one at all  :lol:

Gerkins are similar to pickled cucumbers.  They are smaller and have less seeds inside, so they are a bit firmer in texture.  Over here, they are usually pickled in straight vinegar, so the taste is a bit stronger than with a dill pickle  :)

madcat

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 13:05 »
Marmite is a yeast extract spread used in sandwiches or on toast over here LotuSeed.  Some love it and others think it is the food of the devil.  Opinion is completely divided and there is no middle ground on that one at all  :lol:

You might have come across Vegemite - from Australia?  not that disimilar - both savory yeast based spreads.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

LotuSeed

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 13:15 »

Gerkins are similar to pickled cucumbers.  They are smaller and have less seeds inside, so they are a bit firmer in texture.  Over here, they are usually pickled in straight vinegar, so the taste is a bit stronger than with a dill pickle  :)

Ah ok. I can see how being pickled in straight vinegar could be unappetizing. Can they be eaten fresh like a cucumber?

You might have come across Vegemite - from Australia?  not that disimilar - both savory yeast based spreads.

Never seen Vegemite here either 😧.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 16:15 »
You can eat gherkins fresh, but I pickle mine like dill pickles and they are gorgeous -- our latest craze is to have them in pastrami sandwiches  :nowink:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

cadalot

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 19:35 »
Lotuseed This about sums it up

LyIzcg06pKA

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 39 queries.