Inherited greenhouse

• 20 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: Inherited greenhouse
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 01:46 »
There is a positive side - I had a very good tree surgeon doing some work on the big oaks and willows in my garden a few years back, and he told me that if you have a lot of moss and lichen growing in your garden that's an indication that the air quality is good. I live down a quiet country lane and everything in the garden that stands still for more than a day is always liberally covered in moss or lichen. We have to clear it off some of the roof areas every year. But I never have to buy moss to line my hanging baskets :)

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 10:49 »
That's quite interesting and good to know because I do live in a very quiet lane, on the very edge of housing/countryside, overlooking fields and woodland! :)
My Diary Blog : The Journey from Jungle to ......

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101088.0 

compostqueen

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 10:58 »
It'll be fine. Just take your time and take great care.  A glass greenhouse is an accident waiting to happen. I should know  :blush:

Mine had a tree growing in it and lots of brambles and honeysuckles, and could barely be seen

I have a picture of my "before" greenhouse somewhere.  I'll go and dig it out so you won't feel as bad about yours  :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 17:07 »
Went to B&Q-less this afternoon and saw sulphur candles on sale - £4.98, or 10% less than that if you are a wrinkly (or know one) with a valid card and buy it on a Wednesday.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 22:35 »
Agree you may need to replace the fixings as someone said as they may be really rusted and fragile.

Then a good clean down with Jeyes and a sulphur candle to finish (in the dark the blue smoke of the candle makes your greenhouse look quite eerie :tongue2: ) . Thats my annual greenhouse cleaning.

Another tip is don't overfill it with plants! Mine is often too busy and thats when I tend to get more moulds and bugs!

compostqueen

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 11:56 »
You can get the sulphur candles at Wilko. They only last seconds so make sure before you light it (them) you have emptied the greenhouse of clutter and the windows and doors are shut  :)

xx
new greenhouse nearly done

Started by LILLILEAF on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post December 25, 2016, 15:34
by oldgrunge
xx
Got Another greenhouse.

Started by Ma Lowe on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post April 08, 2014, 23:39
by Ma Lowe
xx
Greenhouse too big?

Started by tomlxx on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 18:17
by ARPoet
xx
Greenhouse too hot

Started by businessmonkey9 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post May 24, 2020, 19:29
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 39 queries.