Milk for making cheese

• 5 Replies

millymolymandy

Milk for making cheese
« on: October 07, 2008, 11:13 »
Hi There, can anyone help me , I have a house cow (Rosie) but I have kept the calf on her so I only have to milk in the morning, this means I don't have enough milk to make cheese with one or even two milkings, is it possible to make cheese using frozen cows milk, I've heard that you can with goats and ewes, not so sure about cows. Maybe I should just try and see what happens! but it's a lot of work just to make a smelly mess.
would have been enough for a crumble!

Fran

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Milk for making cheese
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 12:08 »
No idea to be honest, but welcome to the forums anyway  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Poolfield2

Re: Milk for making cheese
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 19:05 »
Quote from: "millymolymandy"
Hi  I have a house cow (Rosie) .

:shock:  :shock:

I don't have a concept of "house cow", does that mean she lives in the house with you :wink:  :wink:

millymolymandy

Milk for making cheese
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 22:12 »
Hi there thanks for the welcome, as for the phrase House cow it's Farmer talk for just milking her for the house, although shes not liking the wet weather at the moment and stands outside the shed mooing to come in,  we've taken pity on her and she is now inside(not the house)munching her way through a bale of silo.

Trillium

Milk for making cheese
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 21:52 »
I've made cheese before but I just don't know about freezing the milk. I used to get my milk from a local dairy farmer who didn't mind selling a bit if people didn't say anything to the milk board or inspectors. It's the unpasteurized whole milk that's best for cheese and I wonder if the fat would separate too much during freezing. I know his wife used to freeze the milk so she'd get enough to make a giant batch of butter in her converted wringer washing machine kept solely for butter making.

millymolymandy

Milk for making cheese
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 17:52 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
I've made cheese before but I just don't know about freezing the milk. I used to get my milk from a local dairy farmer who didn't mind selling a bit if people didn't say anything to the milk board or inspectors. It's the unpasteurized whole milk that's best for cheese and I wonder if the fat would separate too much during freezing. I know his wife used to freeze the milk so she'd get enough to make a giant batch of butter in her converted wringer washing machine kept solely for butter making.

Hi there ummm I thought that might be the case, I might try a bit just to see, failing that I have a friend who has dairy cows who offered to give me some milk, but I would like to make use of Rosies milk if possible.I have tried making cheese before but quite a few years ago when I had a Jersey cow (Sandy) I got more milk from her as I had to use a machine for milking she had of all things inverted nipples! so the milk sprayed everywhere except for in the bucket! but I milk Rosie by hand and have to leave some milk for the calf. Thanks for the advice I'll report my findings. :)

xx
Milk for cheese

Started by jenny53 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 21:29
by sion01
xx
Cheese Making help!

Started by astrowitchee on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 20:38
by Trillium
xx
Cheese Making

Started by puravida on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 19:25
by puravida
xx
Making Cheddar cheese at home.

Started by magician176 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post March 07, 2011, 04:26
by magician176

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 38 queries.