Will two chickens be happy?

• 9 Replies

Callo12

Will two chickens be happy?
« on: January 25, 2010, 21:12 »
Hi,

After persistent nagging my wife has finally given in and agreed to add chickens to our empire which already consists of 2 dogs, three cats & 3 children.....

Will two be enough?  Will they be happy as a duo?

Also, any advice on my dogs & chickens?  I have a cocker spaniel & a lab....

Thanks

lee

lucylou

• Experienced Member
Re: Will two chickens be happy?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 21:21 »
hi callo! congratulations! yes 2 hens would be happy together but 3 would be better so that there is still 2 if anything happens to one of them (which happenned to mine last year and i had one girl by herself for a month) we have a jack russell who would be very keen to kill our girls if given th eopportunity, so we keep our girls in an enclosure where our dog cannot reach them :D they are not frightened of her but her instinct would be to have them :(   good luck with your hens when you get them - have you decided what breed to get yet? its a very exciting hobby indeed (although those without hens do not realise this!) :D your oh will soon be laughing at their antics and loving them too :D lucylou

Callo12

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 21:46 »
Hi,

Thanks for your advice..... not sure on breed as yet.....

I will probably opt for 3 - makes sense!

Max my cocker is the main cause for concern, but I plan to keep them well apart....

Thanks again

lee

Flowerpower136

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 12:11 »
My 8 are ex batts, and I'm sure I was told minimum for rehousing was 3, and for the above reason. 

It's best to get the right number to start with too, rather than trying to add another one or 2 later on, because it could cause problems with pecking order.  My 8 all came together, had a fortnights skirmish, and have been best friends ever since, sort of. ::)

We too have a dog, as do many on this site.  And really, it depends on the dog.  There are some lovely pictures about of dogs and chickens together.  Unfortunately our dog Maddy (also a rehomed crit), has the temperament of a veloceraptor, :mad: so she and the girls must never meet.  For that reason alone, our girls are house in a big walk in pen/aviary.  Can't risk free range, or they'd be dog food, and avoiding that fate was the reason they came here in the first place. :D

Well done for nagging for the chooks - always works for me!

carolbriar

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 15:01 »
I would also recommend getting 3.  I got 4 to start with and after just 10 days was down to 3.  The breeder replaced one and I bought another one as I knew it was better to introduce 2 or more at a time because of the pecking order and bullying.  I now have 5 and they get on really well.  It only took them two or three days to sort themselves out - they were really pretty good as they were all the same age and from the same place. 
Carolbriar
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

smiler43

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 20:58 »
Definitely 3, but if you have room go for more as you'll only be adding more eventually.  Chickens are very addictive.  I've 4 and are looking at getting more, be warned!! 

Like flowerepower say depends on the dog.  My hens chased and pecked the dog.  We keep them seperate.

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 11:30 »
Three is better, but two would be happy if you don't have space.
 I have an English springer spaniel and a really mad Sprocker spaniel (springer/cocker cross) my dogs are kept well away, as hunting birds in inbreed in them. The sprocker would chase them if he got the chance, the springer would kill them. We put in an extra fence to ensure that dogs and hens don't meet and the cube is certainly dog proof. My girls do wander right up to the the dogs in there run and tease them though when they are free range. The cat's were interested when the chooks were little but are no threat now!

Rubellite

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 14:48 »
I started off with two...........now I've got 17 :lol:

Jeanette

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 16:32 »
Definatly get three :)

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 19:33 »
I would definitely opt for the 3, as other people have said just incase you lose one. As rubellite says, I started off with 4 and now have 20. Had to build a run at home for some cos i didn't have much more space at the lottie! Its an addiction!

Steve

xx
4 happy chickens and 3 helpful children

Started by westie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 15, 2008, 16:01
by Jellyhead
xx
Friendly chickens? Looking for happy hens to live with my ex-batts

Started by Carla on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 16, 2010, 09:21
by grumpydad
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 38 queries.