Dottys hatched her own chicks

• 72 Replies

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Dottys hatched her own chicks
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2013, 15:30 »
Well Snowy was not at all impressed with her broody accommodation.  She would not sit on the egg and just complained to me each time I checked on her.  I let her out for a while after a couple of days and she went straight back to the nest box in the main coop.  She pinched the newly laid eggs and grumped at anything that tried to get in to her nest.  So it was straight back to the broody hutch for the little madam.  This morning I let her out again and so far, so good, she has been mixing with the flock and has not been anywhere near the coop.

All the girls have been laying better while she has been out of the way so if she starts again she will be back in solitary!!   ::)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

ANHBUC

« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2013, 16:36 »
As Snowy went broody again a couple of weeks later I put her in an eglu classic coop and left her eggs under her.  I had eggs from Henry the cockerel crossed with Dolly and Daisy (BPR bantams) in the incubator and 7 hatched so I have swapped her dud eggs for 7 chicks.  She is doing quite well for a young mum but is a bit bemused and still in a bit of a broody trance some of the time.  I am keeping a close eye on her and the brood to make sure they are eating and drinking.  I am hoping to move the coop and run on to grass at the weekend depending on the weather as they are in the covered run at the moment.

There appears to be 3 girls (white dots), 2 boys (yellow/lemon dots) and 2 unknown (no dots), but as usual we will just have to wait and see/hear.   :lol:

You can see that Snowy is not altogether there!   :nowink:
Snowy with Henry x Dolly & Daisys chicks 002.JPG

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2013, 16:50 »
Aww bless her. :)

splash101

« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2013, 17:23 »
She really is stunning, and well done. How do you keep up with them all  :lol:

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2013, 18:41 »
She is beautiful :D

ANHBUC

« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2013, 20:30 »
She really is stunning, and well done. How do you keep up with them all  :lol:

I must admit to being a bit brain addled at the moment.  Not getting as much done as I should with 10 chicks in one run, 3 in another, 21 quail chicks, 6 adult quail, 7 new chicks with Snowy and my normal flock of 8!   ::)  I am looking forward to next year when I will concentrate on breeding my BPR bantams.  That is if I can make the cockerels housing as sound proof as possible and teach him to go in without any fuss.   :unsure:

Forgot to say Snowy is a cross breed, dad was a Light Sussex bantam cross (Light Sussex bantam cockerel with a Partridge Wyandotte bantam [Lotty]) and mum was Dotty my beloved Partridge Wyandotte bantam.   :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 20:51 by ANHBUC »

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2013, 20:42 »
They look adorable and its a good photo.  What are BPR Bantams?
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

ANHBUC

« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2013, 20:47 »
Barred Plymouth Rock bantams, here is a picture of Dolly or Daisy (one of the Mums).   
Taylor, Daisy and Dolly 005.JPG

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2013, 23:28 »
Oh so pretty!

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2013, 08:27 »
I never get over the wonder of chicks hatching and the interaction between mother and chicks.  Yours look wonderful and good on Dolly!  She's brilliant!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

ANHBUC

« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2013, 16:39 »
They are really getting big now but I found one of the black and white chicks dead the other day just laid on its side.  :( I can not find any medical cause, its crop was full and all organs looked normal.  The only thing I can think of is it must have flown into the mesh fencing.  I am keeping a close eye on the others but they are not showing any signs of illness. 

They are proving difficult to sex with them being cross breeds.  Unfortunately I think the one that died was a girl and the other black and white ones are probably boys, the two black ones are hopefully girls.
Barred Plymouth Rock cross chicks 008 (2000 x 1500).jpg
Barred Plymouth Rock cross chicks 019.JPG
Barred Plymouth Rock cross chicks 004 (2000 x 1500).jpg

Silkychicks

« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2013, 10:21 »
anhbuc, your chickens look Beautifull!!!

The colours, clean, shiny, relaxed...

I enjoyed the pictures so much! Chookies with their mum are the best.

You wrote you where looking for a quiet cockerel: I know here some people 'train' their cockerels to not crow during the day by hosing them down when they do.. It seems a bit cruel to me but they say it works.
My Truus only crows in the morning: he has 3 rounds of about 15 to 20 crows and normaly is done for the day. Ideal I wake him up a bit before he goes out so he has one or 2 of his rounds inside. He might have a fourth then but this is around 11 in the morning.. People are up and about by then and he doesn't go on and on..

Wishing you luck with finding a rather quiet cockerel.  :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #72 on: December 25, 2013, 19:02 »
My only cockerel (barred Plymouth rock bantam) is quite at the moment Silkychicks, that might be down to it being winter though so I don't want to speak too soon.  I am hoping to train him to be in a sound proof box overnight until a reasonable time and then he can crow as much as he wants during the day. 

I found that the Barred Plymouth Rock Cross Bantams cockerels were crowing at 11 weeks, so they are now gracing the freezer.   ;)  I still have the young pullets but none of my girls are laying at the moment.   Roll on the spring when we will all have plentiful eggs and breeding can commence.   ;)     

xx
New chicks, hatched this morning

Started by nuzuki on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post June 14, 2012, 20:38
by NormandyMary
xx
piccy of my new chicks hatched this morning.

Started by newhen on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 22:38
by themagicaltoad1
xx
2 chicks have hatched + more chick pics

Started by grinling on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post July 03, 2014, 10:47
by nerdle
xx
pictures of my new baby chicks hatched sunday

Started by nic n dave on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post September 09, 2011, 13:57
by kegs

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 39 queries.