parsnips

• 11 Replies

m1ckz

parsnips
« on: May 17, 2011, 07:24 »
my parsnips are about 5 inchs,when is best to seperate an transplant them,im thinking very soon,any advice ????

sarajane

Re: parsnips
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 07:37 »
I,m thinging they need to go in the ground right now m1ckz.

Its not so much how high they are but how long the roots are and if they are twisted round the pot you may well get roots that are forked.

When you transplant them, put them in  at least a couple of inches deeper then using your watering can in one hand and the plant in the other, soak them and ease  the plant upwards slowly so it has a better chance of straightening out.

Sounds a bit of a fiddle but if the roots are not straight they will just curl round themselves.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 07:42 »
If you've got to seperate them at this stage, I think you're going to have major problems with root disturbance. They really should have been thinned earlier. What pots/trays do you have them in?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

bigben

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 09:56 »
Last year I started mine in paper pots, this year I used loo rolls and found the tap root had got to the bottom when there was only just a tiny plant at the top. I fear I am likely to get some funny shaped snips this year as I have heard they fork in this situation. I have planted them into holes with sand soil mix in the bottom so hopefully they will be able to grow straight but I am not holding my breath. If yours are 5 inches I think you will find the tap root had bottomed out and you risk forking.

m1ckz

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 18:30 »
thanx for reply,they where sown in the ground DD .i sowed a few to day to check them,they look pretty strain, so tomorrow ill do the rest 

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 18:35 »
Getting them out of the ground and transplanting them risks a lot of root disturbance, but good luck.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 20:21 »
Parsnips huh!

Someone convince me that it is worth the effort.

I started to try to grow them after buying some from a market in rural northern Spain. I have never tasted a parsnip so sweet and thought that maybe that is how they tasted fresh from the ground.

Now for a second year running I have wasted space in my raised bed.

The ones from the Spanish market did taste wonderful though   ::)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 22:44 »
Someone convince me that it is worth the effort.

Open invitation to come and taste mine next Winter.  probably goes for pretty much everyone on this site, and I doubt you will be disappointed :)

Surprised you had tasty Parsnips in Spain, as the thing that makes them really sweet is a good frost - I never harvest any until after the first frost.

Now for a second year running I have wasted space in my raised bed.

Didn't grow well? or didn't taste good?

There are issues with growing Parsnips.

Sowing direct tends to mean that they don't germinate for 3+ weeks. If you sow them early, in cold soil, it may be more than that and they may therefore rot rather than germinate.

In that time the weeds have a head-start. Even if they germinate well if you soil is stony etc. they will fork and be a nightmare to peel in the kitchen.

Alternatively you chit them on damp kitchen paper and make your own pots out of newspaper to reduce transplantation shock, and then plant them out one-by-one whilst still tiny, having made a planting hole with a crowbar and sifted the finest of fine soil into the hole.  Clearly LOTS of faff ...

If you can't get here for a tasting then I'll post you one, come the winter, so you can see what you think :)

Grubbypaws

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 11:27 »
OK I am convinced. I have sewn more seeds in the bed and will wait and hope.

Which are the sweetest variety to grow?

I love the idea of posting veg to each other but I can also imagine the look on my local postie,s face  :nowink: He already thinks I have lost it as my raised beds do obstruct the front door just a wee bit.

As I have said I am a little pushed for space  :D

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 15:16 »
Which are the sweetest variety to grow?
I grow Tender and True - but then I always have done, so that's not much of a recommendation.  I like them, but every other variety may be more tasty as I've never tried anything else!

I'm pretty sure that the one I read about most on this forum is Gladiator.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 15:30 »
Oh good - an excuse.

Here is an F1 Gladiator parsnip:

mobilekat

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 15:33 »
Oh good - an excuse.

Here is an F1 Gladiator parsnip:

WoW, what a wonderful Parsnip- am just imagining that roasted, my mouth is watering!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
Parsnips

Started by Rosy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 22, 2008, 13:21
by kentishlad
xx
Parsnips help

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 06, 2011, 20:38
by Plottered
xx
PARSNIPS

Started by JJ on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 14, 2009, 11:28
by Roll Roll

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 28 queries.