Potato Problem.

• 2 Replies

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
Potato Problem.
« on: September 04, 2011, 09:49 »
I have grown 4 20 foot rows of Foremost, fantastic crop no pest or vermin damage.  :happy: .4  20 foot rows of kestrel,very heavy crop,likewise no damage.  :happy: .
4 20 foot rows of Piccasso.  :( . Rats have dug down the sides of the bines exposing a lot of potatoes to the light then dug down further and indiscriminately nibbled potatoes then tunneled on to the next plant and done more damage.
All the spuds were grown together,had to dig the Piccasso at the same time as the Kestrel to avoid further damage.
We do have a rat problem on our plots,because we are situated right next to th A12, many passing motorists throw their rubbish from vehicles down the bank that separates my plot from the A12,a bank and rubbish making good rat habitat,out of 10 plots only two of us regularly put down poison.
What I would love to know is,why did they only go for the 4 rows of Piccasso ?
And would one of these ultrasonic rat and mouse scarers running of a battery,solar panel and regulator save the day next year?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Potato Problem.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 15:44 »
Are the affected rows of spuds nearest the edge / the road?  It might just be as simple as they went for the ones nearest to where they enter the plot or have their run through.

Don't know about the scarer though.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
Re: Potato Problem.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 18:31 »
Hello Yorkie,Funny thing about it is the A12 runs north to south(ish) and all the rows of veg on my plot run east to west(ish) with the fence around my plot (the pesky rabbits also find the A12 bank to be good habitat) is parallel to the highway from hell.
The other odd thing about it is the 2 of us who put down poisin are the only ones whos spuds were affected (only his King Edwards not his other two varieties)
I now regret telling our staffy/mastiff cross off for rummaging between the tatter baulks,we know what she was hunting for now.

xx
potato problem

Started by EEP on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 14, 2009, 17:56
by EEP
clip
Potato Problem!

Started by Jamboian on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 24, 2014, 18:05
by Salmo
question
Potato problem....

Started by Mitsy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 20:45
by Mitsy
xx
Potato problem

Started by jeancrosbie on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 15, 2009, 17:04
by jeancrosbie

Page created in 0.404 seconds with 38 queries.