Butternut Squashes going rotten! Advice please?

• 4 Replies

mark59mark

« on: July 01, 2007, 21:31 »
Hello,

Fot the first time I'm trying to grow Butternut squashes! I have 2 butternut squash plants in my polytunnel, both are producing good numbers of fruits, but once the fruit reaches about 6-9 cms (2-3 inches) the ends turn brown and they start to rot and fall off.

I live in France (it's been a cold wet summer here too) and for the first time I've had Mildew in the polytunnel (lost all my tomatoes), but the squash plants themselves look really heathy.

Can anyone help me please?

Regards, Mark.

p.s. I live in the Haute Vienne. If there are other here do please drop me a line. Mark.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 22:14 »
Hello mark welcome to the forum, :D

I imagine it's that disease of the year again mould of some kind, it's just to wet/humid for anything to have a fighting chance, can you ventilate the tunnel any more ?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 22:24 »
The compost may be too wet.  If it is, withhold water until it appears to have dried out to a better texture.  Increase the ventilation.

shaun

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 23:08 »
I might have mentioned this before but most commercial polly tunnels have a roll down flap on 1 or some times both sides,you roll up one side of the polly exposing a mesh side for ventilation its about 1m of the floor
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

mark59mark

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 08:59 »
Thankyou for the sound advice, I suspect that I may have been over watering too! I will ventilate the tunnel more.
Regards,
Mark

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 38 queries.