What kind of chutney maker are you

• 31 Replies

Beetroot queen

What kind of chutney maker are you
« on: July 12, 2013, 17:44 »
I started out making vals, ploughmans pickle but then i didnt have this but i did have that and i didnt like that so i changed to that. Will vals ploughmans pickle be right or is it going to be more of a georges marvellous medicine.

Hubby is looking worried  ???

But what i really want to know is what kind of chutney maker are you.

A recipe follower
Or a bit of a throw it all in and experiement.

If its my chutney i follow it to the letter but hubbys i like to play around with. Hehe  :lol:

Mrs Bee

Re: What kind of chutney maker are you
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 18:09 »
I start with a recipe and then fiddle about with the ingredients until I have the flavour that I like.

I also try out loads of different recipes from the preserving library I have accumulated over the years. Some are good and others are rubbish. I think some writers don't try out their recipes either that or their idea of good chutney is different to mine.

I have several perfected recipes that are in my little red book and will use them as starter recipes. For example I have an onion marmalade recipe which I adapted and now I use that as my starting point to add other ingredients such as sage or rosemary, tomato, garlic and chilli.

I like to start with a tried and tested basic recipe that has a good sweet to sharp ratio and good keeping qualities and then change the fruit, veg and spices.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 18:12 »
My worst trouble is not noting what bit i changed and fiddled with so when everyone loves it i cant remember what i did  ::), i have made a note this time

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 19:28 »
This one is rather nice even at hot stage. Hubby did ask if i could mash it a bit so he couldnt see the veg. Hehe branston is his favourite but he likes it when he cant see the veg.  ::) i would like it to be a bit more syruppy but apart from that taste wise first signs are fab.

It has been roughly mashed and now resembles a lovely sandwich pickle that will hold its own.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 19:51 »
I always keep a notebook to hand when I am preserving and note down all the changes I make.

I also note how many pints or litres I cook the mixture to and how many jars it makes.

If you like the Branston style of chutney you might like to try the Hairy Bikers Farmhouse pickle recipe which is in their perfect pies book. That is really lovely!

And one of my customers has tried the hot mustard pickle recipe and sais that that is really lovely too.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 19:56 »
Will check it out, thanks

madcat

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 14:34 »
A banned one!  when we moved OH discovered the vintage of some of the chutneys on the shelf  :ohmy: and has banned me making any more till we have eaten what we have.   :( :(
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 14:36 »
A banned one!  when we moved OH discovered the vintage of some of the chutneys on the shelf  :ohmy: and has banned me making any more till we have eaten what we have.   :( :(

And who wears the pants in your house, if my oh even tried he'd be wearing my jam pan on his head  :D

madcat

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 15:00 »
That would dent the jam pan!   :ohmy:  His head is large and hard ...

He did have a point ..  sort of.  I just said they were 'maturing'.  :nowink:  Hmmmm.  Fine wine needs 20 years doesnt it? :D

Beetroot queen

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 15:12 »
Hubby has given up telling me no more  :lol:

maloneranger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 00:26 »

Very interesting! How old are your vintages? I have often wondered how long my chutney would keep.

[It's only ever apple, and the amount depends on the crop from one old tree, so some years need to last for two years]

madcat

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 08:06 »
I've just been to look.  The oldest I can spot is a '95 damson relish (very good but a little goes a long way,  so the usage rate is low!  Just a thin smear on the bread of a sandwich lifts it beautifully); there is a '97 apple chutney which we are eating now which is really smooth and rich.  So much depends on the quality of the seal of the lid, so they don't dehydrate over time.  But you take his point.

maloneranger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 09:22 »
Thanks for looking. These sound "very" vintage.

Do you mind some more questions?

Do you put a "paper" seal on top of the chutney, in addition to the lid? [I don't]

Does the chutney darken with time from the top, downwards? [Mine does, after about a year].

Where do you store it? [I use a dark cupboard vented to the outside; can hardly be called cool at the moment].

madcat

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 16:53 »
it goes darker over time and smoother, but the apple chutney we are eating at the moment has discernible lumps in it.  It hasn't gone to goo.  Think the colour and consistency of Branston pickle and you wont be far off.  I don't put a paper seal on chutney (I do on jam and jelly) and they have been living, until we moved in the top top cupboards in a north facing kitchen, so not cold but not toasty. I want to put them in the cellar, when I have shelves, but at the moment they are in the utility room.

The ones that have kept best are in jars with screw on plastic lids, coffee jars and the like.  The paper removed from inside the lid and screwed down firmly.  There is no evaporation and they go darker more slowly.  The ones with cellophane lids have to be eaten much earlier as the vinegar evaporates very much quicker.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 18:04 »
If you have a really good seal on the jars they can keep for years.

I find that I get the best seal by using new jar lids if I am reusing jars for us, friends and family, (I never use recycled for selling).

If the chutney is potted while it is red hot and in hot sterilised jar. make sure you fill it to the top and use a new jar lid it should keep for years without shrinking or darkening.

I follow the WI advice about potting all preserves and go for one or the other method. E.g wax discs and cellophane or metal lids without waxed discs.

Another tip for potting on jams when using metal lids is to twist the lids on tightly and then invert the jar so that the boiling hot liquid jam coats the inside of the metal lid, which helps to make doubly sure that the jar and lid don't get any stray bacteria to turn the jam mouldy.

xx
HELP!! First time maker of ripe tomato chutney!!

Started by cathy81walking on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post September 19, 2009, 12:05
by tode
xx
Jam maker

Started by Poolfield2 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

20 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 20:00
by Spacey
xx
smoothie maker

Started by flowergirl on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 19:28
by kaz
xx
Anyone got a yoghurt maker?

Started by Yoghurt on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 10:19
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 34 queries.