Grapevine

• 2 Replies

Tantalus39

Grapevine
« on: June 13, 2020, 20:55 »
Hi,
New to growing grapes, we inherited two vines when we moved allotment and not sure what to do with them. This was almost two years ago and one of the vines had been cut back to the stump. I read as much as I could and set to and last year I had a decent crop of black grapes. I made the mistake although I had read different I left two bunches on each spur and they were ok but not top notch. The other vine grew like mad and I had to keep it in check but tied in two new leaders for this years growth.
This year I am keeping to one bunch per spur and so far it has worked well. The harvest time might tell me different but they look good and everyone tells me they have never seen them looking as good as now.
What I really want answers to are what do you do for winter pruning. I know you wait until your leaders have turned woody and hard, but everything I have read is a little vague about this.
Do I cut back my new leaders as one reference told me by one third while another good reference said to cut 95% of them back.
After this year do I let new strong leaders grow for the year after or what?

Tantalus

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Grapevine
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 21:33 »
I take it you are growing in a greenhouse?
Have you got it growing along wires down the length of the greenhouse?
Once the main stems grow to the desired length, cut them after a bud.
Trim back all side shoots to about 1inch from the main stem, this is where next year's growth will start.
You do the same thing every year and the main stems thicken up and the growth points get big and knobbly :)

Before and after below :)

Pruninggrape.jpg
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 21:38 by mumofstig »

Tantalus39

Re: Grapevine
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 10:51 »
Thanks for that, it has cleared my head if that is possible and I know now what to do. Clear and precise reply. Thank you

Tantalus

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 43 queries.