Poor hens, marooned!

• 13 Replies

Anndee

• Experienced Member
Poor hens, marooned!
« on: July 06, 2012, 11:00 »
My 3 banty's have been in the house (raised up) all morning because of all this rain. their pen is in about 3" of water and they don't like the wet! Most of the back lawn area, where they roam, is under water.
How's everyone elses hens coping? I hope it stops soon so it will begin to dry out a bit. They can't even get across the water to the door to come out to free range even if it does stop :blink:
I've just popped some sunflower hearts into the house so they have something to do whilst in there.
Hope everyone's chooks are ok
What idiot mentioned droughts and hose pipe bans in the first place :wacko:
Anne

compostqueen

Re: Poor hens, marooned!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 12:01 »
I gave mine straw bales in their covered run to perch on and get out of the weather. They don't mind being wet but not cold and wet  :)  I liked mine to be dry though before bed so as to keep the coop nice and clean  :) 

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 12:16 »
Our's are paddling around the garden, quite happy. They can go into their coop if they want, or the garage is open for them with food if they so fancy. :D

Willow_Warren

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 12:46 »
Mine weren't keen on coming out of the coop this morning.  The run is half covered as it wasn't windy when it rained it did quite well!  Their poor tail feathers were hanging down though...

When they are free ranging they normally find a good tree to shelter under (or head for our house  :wub:)

Hannah :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 14:51 »
My hens are coping fine but then they aren't the ones who clean the sludgy chicken poo up!!  :ohmy:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Hen 1-0 Fox

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 15:46 »
We need a new sticky... "monsoon tips for chooks."

I've put some more cover in my run, and had the pitchfork out a few times, they certainly don't seem as happy in these conditions.

Ultimately I guess the roof on the run needs to arrive sooner rather than later... Imagine a lovely dry dust bath instead of a puddle... I'm on eBay now ha ha.
x1 Light Sussex x1 Black Rock x1 Bluebell x1 Silver Sussex

clare1401

• chicken balti
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 21:43 »
mine have chosen to stay out all day in the rain taking cover under the table every now and then. i cant understand why they didnt choose to stay in the dry!
1 blue belle, 1 brown ranger and 1 white sussex :)

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 22:18 »
ours have created a swimming pool today  ::) Our run is under our car port but as that is being reconstructed for the walk in run there are lots of open bits that trickle in and run into the run. I had piled up the wood chips to divert the running water but the chooks had other plans and have created a little stream that runs though the run.  It does seem to have entertained them all day mind  :lol: :lol: Dread what it will be like by the morning if it keeps on  ::)

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 07:10 »
lots of sludgy mud in their half of garden so have been letting them use whole garden more and put in some shelters especially as Mo is a silkie cross but she still wanders in rain and gets soaked and then I am out in evenings with a towel making sure she is warm and drying. I think the chicks help warm her  :D But then they need leg washing because they are sabelpoots and the feathers and feet get muddy. AND is anyone having a slug invasion of the nasty huge orange sort?

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 14:52 »
We have a slug invasion of the grey/green type and some of them are huge!!!
Where do they go during the day as I only see them on the paths round the house when I take the dogs out for last wee's?

clare1401

• chicken balti
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 18:53 »
i have suicidal slugs that crawl into the chicken feeder in the day! and even dafter hens that eat around them! :lol:

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 19:42 »
I find them in the food when I pick it up to take in at night and was finding them in the broody coop in the mornings...HUGE great orange skirted monsters. Chickens won't touch them. A fine sight I must be in pyjamas at 6.30am catapulting slugs over the fence with my little poo picker spade  :D yuk

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 17:49 »
Catapulting them over the hedge won't work, they will just come back. I have a large jam jar half filled with very salty water.  I go out in the garden after dark to pick them up and pop them in there. It certainly seems to keep the numbers down. This wet weather has been ideal breeding conditions for them and my hens won't touch them.

Chicken_Lover

• Experienced Member
  • R.I.P you two beautiful ladies:(
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 12:50 »
In bad weather, which includes rain, there used to be flooding round the run, we have now raised the run from the ground by a piece of wood, so should have on more problems. ;)
1 Leghorn Cockerel, 2 Warrens, 4 Lemon Goldfish and 1 Jack Russell, One Big Party!!!!!! :D :D

xx
Poor gorgeous George

Started by raeburg on Chicken Chat

11 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 11:13
by cheriton
xx
Look at my poor potato plants!

Started by CluckyChicken on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 13:38
by CluckyChicken
xx
Poor Sevi is losing his looks

Started by tosca100 on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post February 12, 2014, 03:00
by Trillium
xx
New hens

Started by oborne27 on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2013, 21:21
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 33 queries.