Little red hen

• 9 Replies

Springlands

Little red hen
« on: July 19, 2011, 16:27 »
We got our first hens about 5 years ago - four red hens. Two died last year and that left us with two. They were both very affectionate, especially one who was very attached to OH. She was very quiet and off her food yesterday and spent most of the day huddled in the nest box. She died this morning and OH is going to miss her as she always came up to him for a scratch each morning.

It was so strange this morning - because she was always out first the other hens took a long time to leave the coop. They all seemed to know what was going on - they kept going into the coop to see what was wrong with their little friend and keep her company. She was always the boss so it is going to be interesting to see who takes over, the remaining red hen, one of the banties or the welsummer.

We will miss her - she had a lovely personality and was very feisty but we could see that she was getting old although that did not stop her keeping the rest of the girls in order.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Little red hen
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 17:30 »
I bet the remaining original red hen will also miss her terribly too  :(, to reach that age was very good going though, huge hugs xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 12:18 »
I am so sorry for your loss.  We lost our first hen this spring and we are still missing her.  Our other hens still look for her in the hen house that she raised her chicks.  You have my condolences.   :(
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 13:59 »
so sorry  :(
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 13:31 »
That's so sad. But I'm wondering what people do with their hens that have died. My daughter asked me this question yesterday and I was a bit stumped to answer her, I don't really want a lot of little graves in the garden, (we already have a hamster and a cat plot).

kegs

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 14:00 »

That's so sad. But I'm wondering what people do with their hens that have died. My daughter asked me this question yesterday and I was a bit stumped to answer her, I don't really want a lot of little graves in the garden, (we already have a hamster and a cat plot).

Don't hate me .... ours became a very tasty chicken curry!  :wub:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 14:30 by kegs »

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 14:18 »
i bet she's got her own perch in clucky heaven.....lots of hugs to you.
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

Springlands

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 15:35 »

It is a bit of a problem - the first two hens who died we took to the vet because they were in distress and my OH just could not bring himself to cull them - and the vet then disposed of the hen. In this case we were not sure what to do - we did not want to bury her in the garden - we had terrible problems many years ago with foxes trying to dig up our cat - in the end we had to put slabs over where she was buried. In the end we just wrapped her in two black bags and disposed of her in the local amenity centre.

Thank you to everyone for their kind comments - she is still being missed, by us and by her special hen friend.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 15:44 »
If I cull them because they are cockerels they get eaten but if they get culled because they are ill or have died through old age or illness get double bagged and go out to the bin men  :(

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 21:54 »
if we have problems and cull poorly chooks there's a local man who takes them for his ferrets. he's aware of the reason for culling/death and says its better not to waste (put in the bin if there is a use for it) a good meal  ???

i suppose its better than binning a chook and far better than a fox taking it.

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 39 queries.