Pretty Peas

• 9 Replies

Swing Swang

Pretty Peas
« on: May 11, 2009, 21:59 »
Mange tout peas have just started flowering. A new variety for me - 'Golden Sweet' Yellow-Podded Mange-tout pea from Real Seeds.

Very Pretty

SS

Bombers

Re: Pretty Peas
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 22:10 »
Nice Pic Swing swang!
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 22:23 »
They are gorgeous!
But I dont grow mange tout..I must try to find me some peas similiar. If theres any out there...
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

fekq

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 09:28 »
lovely - would it be too late to buy and sow some of these now?

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 09:30 »
I don't think so. I put mine out the other day, blue flowered one called Carouby de Maussane. Very pretty indeed  :)  They grow tall though so will need something to scramble up

diggerjoe

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 09:44 »
Grew these last year Swing Swang they are good to look at and good to eat. Mine are a bit behind like most of my stuff this year  but I can't wait and the kept producing  for ages a good value plant. :D

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 10:24 »
very pretty :)

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 10:25 »
Ooh, I'm growing them too!  Funny, I thought the flowers were supposed to be sort of lavender, but they look gorgeous anyway.  Mine are only about three inches high at the moment, so I've still got the flowers to look forward to.

Helen G

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 12:52 »
They're gorgeous aren't they.

I grew them last year and they had two colours of flower; the deep pink / pale pink in your photo and deep blue / pale blue flowers as well.  They also cropped unbelievably heavily, if you have more than half a dozen plants, expect to be eating mangetout for at least one meal every day!

I'm growing them again this year from seed saved from last year's crop, hopefully they will be just as good.  The seeds I sowed at the start of March are just starting to come into flower, when did you plant yours Swing Swang?

Swing Swang

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 17:49 »
Helen - I've sowed 2 rows of 200 (so it looks as though I'm going to be giving a lot away if they crop as heavily as you suggest). First sowing V early march (like you ), pre-chitted and kept under cloches until they reached the top, now in flower, about 1.2m high and climbing up orange builders' netting. Second sowing about six weeks later, again under cloches, and now about 8inches high.

I'm also looking forward to seeing if there are any colour variants in my batch.

Fekq - as mangetout are not grown to maturity I see no reason why sowing some now would not produce a worthwhile crop, although my guess is that if we have a hot summer they won't do too well - still if you have a cool corner I'd give them a try... Maybe someone with experience of late sowings will post a reply.

Regards,

SS

xx
I know it's not pretty but....

Started by Lady Lottie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 05:44
by Rangerkris
xx
That was a pretty good April!

Started by aelf on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 10:41
by Lardman
xx
How to make plastic look pretty

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 28, 2011, 19:28
by arugula
xx
Cauliflowers - pretty but useless

Started by ClaireMc on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post September 23, 2007, 12:28
by muntjac

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 31 queries.