why is gardening so complicated

• 13 Replies

pawsnclaws

• Experienced Member
    • my web site
why is gardening so complicated
« on: May 05, 2009, 08:15 »
 :( :( is it just me or is gardening really difficult to understand it is like a scientific plan lol i am sure nothing will ever grow for me lol

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: why is gardening so complicated
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 08:53 »
oh dear....you'll get used to it honestly :) It' like learning anything new..it can take a while to sink in.....then something will grow right and you'll think..yeah! thats how you do it!
Somethings may be a little more difficult, but only require a little more tweaking but then you get the knack of growing those as well. :)
Before you know it you can grow most things :lol:
Nobody, or their soil is perfect, so don't expect everything to succeed.....just be happy when somethings do :lol:

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 09:39 »
Growing stuff is not complicated, only people complicate things  :D  A seed is destined to grow so don't worry as plants will pick up the negative vibes  :D

The seed packets are usually excellent and contain all the information so make sure you read them before sowing and then take note of the follow-up advice. Biggest mistake folks make is to sow at the wrong times  :) 

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 09:47 »
It's only complicated if you let it be.

Seeing as you are just starting off, grow stuff that's easy to care for like potatoes, peas, beans and cabbages and then next year you will know vast amounts more than you did this year including principles of crop rotation and techniques that others use, as well as the reasons WHY you need to keep on top of weeds (this becomes easier as time goes on as you'll be constantly weeding to get rid of any that poke through!)

Don't forget, you're not on your own when you get an allotment - I promise you that as soon as you start digging the older fellas will be round to introduce themselves and offer their pearls of wisdom and never be afraid to ask them what grows well on your allotment sites - they love it when younger folks ask them for advice  :D  And we are all here for you 8)

paintedlady

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 09:57 »
pawsnclaws - I say to anyone, just give it a try and don't worry too much about it.  You'll be surprised what will grow quite well with very little gardening experience or knowledge (apart from some basics like reading seed packet instructions, watering and sunlight)

Then, you'll look at your neighbours crops and think, "well mine were alright, but look at the size of those", or "how does he get his/hers to look so great" ... that's when you want to learn about composts, manures, pH, fertilisers, netting, pest control and thereafter it becomes a lifetime learning experience.  However, we all want people to start off well from the beginning and want to share our knowledge. and that's when it can become an information overload especially when we all do things slightly different to each other.  Before you know it, you'll be joining those ranks (honest!)  ;)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

littlebabynothing

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 10:03 »
:( :( is it just me or is gardening really difficult to understand it is like a scientific plan lol i am sure nothing will ever grow for me lol

I agree!! sometimes I wonder what I've let myself in for! but so far its been fun and who knew gardening could be exciting!!  :lol:

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 10:06 »
stuff grows without our help as in nature. You only have to look at weeds to see that so stop worrying. Some fall by the wayside and wither but most will reward you.  Start off with easy stuff that you know you like to eat.  A courgette is a good one to start off with as is a runner or French bean, sweetcorn is easy too but so rewarding. Slurp

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 11:09 »
Quote from: paintedlady
Then, you'll look at your neighbours crops and think, "well mine were alright, but look at the size of those", or "how does he get his/hers to look so great" ...

This really is a case of size doesn't matter, it's the taste that matters when you eat it. 

paintedlady

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 11:20 »
Quote from: paintedlady
Then, you'll look at your neighbours crops and think, "well mine were alright, but look at the size of those", or "how does he get his/hers to look so great" ...

This really is a case of size doesn't matter, it's the taste that matters when you eat it. 

depends what it is  ;)  And in relation to why is gardening so complicated, it was only an example of why people make an active attempt to learn how to grow better stuff.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 11:21 by paintedlady »

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 11:59 »
One thing I recently remembered that grandpa used to tell me and that I read recently....

.. plants want to grow... its what they are designed to do....

.. keep it simple.. grow them when nature lets them grow, don't force the season or the environment and you won't go far wrong.
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

littlebabynothing

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 13:16 »
 :) wise words, I'll have to remember them!

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 19:24 »
Complicated? Yes and No
It's relatively easy to make a start then you start to think how you could improve next year - a different seed variety, different sowing time, improve soil etc etc
If you want you can carry on learning for a lifetime, there are always new varieties, new techniques and for many this is the attraction.
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

gawk

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 22:32 »
Last year (our first year) it all seemed too complicated, everything was new and carried with it nervous indecision...shall I, shan't I, will it fail, will it grow? Then after actually doing something, like roughly dig a bed and plant a few plants, it all became much easier and much more obvious... even if you do it the wrong way at the wrong time you often end up with something that tastes great and makes you feel great for growing it too.

The following years are then used to perfect the skills and try out new things, for example this year I have sowed four butternut squash seeds, I will have NO IDEA what to do with them when they germinate but I don't care, that is the fun part... finding out and going for it!

It's all too much!

Vienna Phil

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 01:27 »
I know how you feel. My wife and I started last year. She had at least the experience of always having had a veg garden in Turkey, where she is from, but I was a complete and utter novice. We had mixed results last year but boy was it fun. We have started again this season in  Vienna where we live and have built raised beds and are trying to branch out with out crop (even though the range of available seed is very limited in Austria).
I am still very much a beginner but am enormously enjoying the ride. Starting an organic veg garden is definitely one of the best things I have ever done. Stick with it, it is really worth it.
"What I say is that, if a man really likes potatoes,
he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow."
A.A. Milne

xx
Complicated, but interesting method.

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 27, 2021, 15:09
by Russell Atterbury
xx
Box gardening

Started by Alec_Macpherson on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 10:57
by Epona_4
xx
No dig gardening

Started by doubledug on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 19:09
by CARROTTCRUNCHER
xx
'No-dig' gardening

Started by Luiska on Grow Your Own

52 Replies
Last post May 04, 2017, 07:55
by Blewit

Page created in 0.393 seconds with 35 queries.