marigolds

• 69 Replies

george007

Re: marigolds
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2009, 23:34 »
And I also thought that there was some replies that werent necessary myself..if you remember I was the first positive reply to that thread and was very impressed also by another posters reply that said it was a good idea to keep kids interested..
However you have since then come across as rather hard to understand at times and slightly patronising...possibly because you have cut and pasted a lot of your info as facts and not a possible way to introduce a new idea, there seemed to be no communication with you, just a set idea
I can see in a that it was a bad start that I personally hoped wouldnt put you off, but please dont lol at people who probably know more than you or I will ever do
i copied and pasted two just two articles that were relevant to the topic

it was my mistake and i said i would not do it again
i'm sorry but you lot got my back up from day one post one .
and most of what i have posted has been questioned constantly.
which i don't mind in the least
tell me why should i believe a word anybody says here
they don't believe a word or they disagree with everything i say .

and i have such healthy vegetables
i must have magic seeds , it must be pure fluke, i'm just very lucky,
because i so obvously know nothing of any importance or relevance
concerning gardening.

of course i  you don't have to believe a word i say
and after a week of contributing relevant info that could help or not
i really don't care to be truthful

george007

« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2009, 23:50 »
Not much we can teach you here is there George  ;)

i'm not so sure
if a marigold can attract a slug and repel it at the same time
thats magical
there could be some energy source we could tap.
or does the marigold attract slugs during the day and repel at night
even the other  way round
so many possibilities
it's opened up new avenues of possibilities in my mind
thankyou

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2009, 00:07 »
Not much we can teach you here is there George  ;)

i'm not so sure
if a marigold can attract a slug and repel it at the same time
thats magical
there could be some energy source we could tap.
or does the marigold attract slugs during the day and repel at night
even the other  way round
so many possibilities
it's opened up new avenues of possibilities in my mind
thankyou

Of course it hasn't opened up any new possibilities in your mind...you just wanted to quote some interesting things at people that werent of your own making or ideas or original thought
..as previously said, (you are now making a habit of only replying to the sentences that suit you)
We are on two different continents and climates. Im actually interested in what Trillium said myself, because the marigolds I planted in front of my house this year were the only plants eaten (flower bed). Id love to hear that side of it too, it may help me in my growing in some way..thats the key word there George? Help
I wish you had shared more that your cut and paste ideas (other that your carrot thread) as we all wish to grow healthy vegetables, (not fro magic seeds..wheres the fun in that?!)but if everyone did it by reading possibilities instead of sharing the experience then we would be so much poorer for it
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Paul Plots

« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2009, 00:56 »
One of the many very nice things about this forum is that everyone is free to contribute their opinions...  :)

The other things I greatly enjoy are the humour, the help, the range of ideas and different perspectives….. as well as the patience and kindness other people show in taking time to read (when they choose to) the things that I write and ask.  :)

In my humble opinion there is no single one way of doing anything that is totally right... a huge range of things work for different people in different circumstances. What works one time may well not work the same way or as well the next. I guess that's what makes growing things so very worthwhile - there's alway something to learn and other people to learn from. When I can offer my experiences to others and be helpful it's a huge added bonus.  ;)

We are all experts in one way or another and to some degree or another... it's just that some are more expert than others.   :wacko: I also think we all have something to learn.

I can take from posts anything that I feel is helpful and choose to ignore anything I feel is not... without (I hope) giving offence.

I also like the notion that I can simply not respond should I feel there is something that will not help further either my own or other people's ideas.

Being an awkward, often tired and miserable old f**t at times I try not to respond negatively to things that at first glance / read seem to be too controversial or are likely to be either misread (not always easy) or cause offence. I feel there's no point. There are already too many occasions when this is apt to happen in other areas of life no matter how we try to avoid it.

Everyone is entitled to their own view / idea and I am entitled to disagree. Whether I choose to express disagreement or not is also my right... I choose to stick to what I perceive to be the spirit of the forum.

Be careful and kind – polite and friendly.

Please excuse this post…. Presently I am tired and rambling… I just wanted to say:

This forum is a good place to be with fantastic members. Where else can you get to talk to a possible audience of 7000 people and meet so many caring, patient and considerate folks?

Marigolds… Yep. I’m sticking some in on the plot for the first time this year. I like the smell, the colours are radiant and warming come the first signs of summers end especially as dusk draws in.

Who knows they might even dazzle a few pests as well as cheer me up.

:)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2009, 01:02 »
Well said Learner.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Howard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2009, 01:17 »

i'm sorry i must be in the wrong place
i was told this was a friendly forum

from my very first post on growing long carrots

the first answer wondered if i was drunk...

I would very politely suggest you go back to said thread, re-read my post and then come back here and edit the one I've quoted.

Thank you.

Howard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2009, 01:46 »

...Im wondering if you find this amusing and a little twee and strange why you are here in the first place? Or is it to pass on your wondrous websearching  knowledge to all and sundry?...

...And I also thought that there was some replies that werent necessary myself..if you remember I was the first positive reply to that thread...

I'm really not quite sure how to respond to your post.

In truth, I'm wondering if perhaps you've had a good Friday night out and just needed to write some stuff?

matron

« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2009, 06:24 »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2009, 07:17 »
I had to go to bed last night during this exchange as it had been such a long day. I decided to post though before I go to work .
I whole heartedly agree with what Learner has said -- there is no obligation to reply, and indeed I often choose not to if I feel that thread is not going in the kind of direction I would choose to go myself. The ways of the world are wide and wonderful and we do not all tread the same path (Just as well or it would be worn away whilst others became too overgrown to use at all)

In my personal experience you cannot lump all the users of this forum together as 'you lot on there' ... our many paths intertwine, but we each have our own views and make our own choices. I joined this forum to widen my views and widen the choices I could make about growing healthy vegetables and other plants, and have found occasionally that my past experiences enabled me to have some experience to share as well.

George, don't give up on the forum, as the world wide members here have much to give - we try to disagree politely and accept that sometimes when something is in print it may not come out quite right... thnak goodness for those smileys  :blink:

Anyway, I am off to work now for another hard day, lightnened by time on the plot at lunchtime (thinning brassica seedlings today - let's hope the children's fingers are nimble  :lol:)

Oh, and Learner, I don't think you are a f***  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2009, 08:00 »
I think this topic has [more than] run it's course so I'm locking it.

Get 6 gardeners together and you will have 8 opinions  ::)  As other posters have said we can pick and choose wich advice we take and see what works for us.  Gardening is an art and nothing is absolutly right or wrong but the free exchange of opinions is invaluable. 

xx
Marigolds - which way up please?

Started by yummy on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post March 04, 2007, 21:31
by frazzy
xx
Marigolds?

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 14, 2007, 19:36
by muntjac
xx
Marigolds

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 12, 2011, 06:38
by Growster...
xx
marigolds and saffron

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 21:25
by JimG

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 36 queries.