Marigolds - which way up please?

• 39 Replies

yummy

« on: February 27, 2007, 14:55 »
I've just opened my marigold seeds and realised I have no idea which way up they should go (if any).

They are long and have a black stem like bit with yellow pointed bits coming off one end?

Anyone here know which way up they go please?

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 14:59 »
they dont ,,,,,,,,,,lay em flat  sprinkle n leave with a shallow cover of compost and leave . water the compost before you sow tho :wink:
still alive /............

yummy

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 15:08 »
Thanks MJ (sorry I mean Mr Muntjac Sir).

I've got the compost in the tray watered and ready so I will go carefully bung them in now  :)

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 15:11 »
no mr .. or sir lol not unless ya on parade  :wink:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 16:01 »
I agree with Munty, I just chuck em in and cover em up!!!!  Sometimes in a tray, sometimes just straight in the ground, depending on where they are going!

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 16:46 »
Personally, I get 100% success with marigolds by pushing in the individual seeds, pointy side down and the fuzzy yellow bit up just touching the surface soil. This seems to put them just deep enough, and organized enough for considerable quantity in a smaller space before I need to transplant - later than the old 'bunging in' method because roots aren't competing.  :wink:  It's an enjoyable task at a time when it's still too early to start other seeds.

Mrs.Veg

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 16:53 »
When marigolds selfseed (like mad round here) they don't care what way up they are....just a thought :)

king cauli

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 16:57 »
i agree,when self seeding the seed falls where it falls,are they for show or will you be eating the leaves and flowers?
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q102/kingcauli/th_thc.jpg[/img]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q102/kingcauli/caulicow.jpg[/img]

yummy

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 18:28 »
Quote from: "king cauli"
i agree,when self seeding the seed falls where it falls,are they for show or will you be eating the leaves and flowers?

Well they are going to be friends with my tomatoes, assuming the toms  survive their transplant from tray to pots that took place this morning. I'm amazed that I even got the toms to germinate - still plenty of opportunity to kill em off yet though eh  :roll:  :oops:  I've just been to shut their night time curtains and turn their radiator on low.

muntjac

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 20:01 »
when they self seed  let the plants grow and then dig em up n transplant em afore they get to big .when they come fully they will be even bigger i allow mine to self seed for exactly this reason.they revert back to the wilder looking plant with each generations ,and become pongier

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 20:10 »
Have to confess my first thought when I saw this topic was "well, you put the roots in the soil, and the green bits on top"...  :oops:

leeky

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 22:32 »
I just sowed a tray of Marigolds. Did what it said in the pack, and cover them with a sprinkling of compost.

Are marigolds useful for keeping off certain pests if planted in close proximity to veggies?

yummy

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 22:34 »
Quote from: "leeky"

Are marigolds useful for keeping off certain pests if planted in close proximity to veggies?

Well I am growing them cos they are supposed to help with tomatoes so I've heard. I'm new though so could be wrong..

leeky

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 22:41 »
Quote from: "yummy"

Well I am growing them cos they are supposed to help with tomatoes so I've heard. I'm new though so could be wrong..

hmmm, just googled a quick one and "adding marigolds to keep soil nematodes at bay " whatever they are!

next search " nemotodes"  :wink:

http://www.vivagarden.com/veggies/fgp.html   ooh!

Rule 2 – Some plants will scare away pests.  While the best known one is adding marigolds to keep soil nematodes at bay – also consider:

Basil – will reduce aphids, fruit-fly, white-fly and are even rumored to reduce mosquitoes. Plus you can use the basil in cooking! Plant in a border or in clumps throughout the garden.

Nasturtium – not only are nasturtium edible flowers – but the orange colored ones keep aphids and some beetles away – while the yellow nasturtiums attract beetles – so plant the orange in the garden and  the yellow ones far away in a corner to attract bugs away from your veggies.

Also, herbs often attract natural pollinators to the garden, such as bees, butterflies and hummingbirds, which contribute to the production of fruits, vegetables and seed in the garden

Rosemary – will keep some bugs off of cabbage, beans or carrots – although we hear potatoes and rosemary do not mix well in the garden.

Lavender – one of our favorite herbs – the fragrant oils attract bees – good for pollination, while keeping many bugs away.

A hedge of lavender, rosemary and basil will be an attractive border and will keep away many insects.

WG.

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 22:46 »
Also, herbs often attract natural pollinators to the garden, such as bees, butterflies and hummingbirds, which contribute to the production of fruits, vegetables and seed in the garden
Last thing I need is any more blooming hummingbirds ... dodo everywhere as it is

xx
Marigolds?

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 14, 2007, 19:36
by muntjac
xx
Marigolds

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 12, 2011, 06:38
by Growster...
xx
marigolds

Started by dawnj on Grow Your Own

69 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 08:00
by Aunt Sally
xx
marigolds and whitefly

Started by mum of 3 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 29, 2007, 23:18
by FatGaz

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 33 queries.