Pretty sure I have blight. Have I done the right thing?

• 30 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
I haven't been to the plot since Sunday as work has been manic but I thought I would pop down to dig up some earlies tonight. All was going well when I glanced across at my maincrop, 'Purple Majesty' and noticed this:

From looking at google images in my phone I was pretty certain it was blight so I cut everything down, burnt it and have left the potatoes in the ground. The earlies and second earlies appear unaffected. The ones I dug up tonight were fine. We have had no warnings round here as I have signed up to that site DD recommended and everyone else's on the plot look fine  :(

My questions are:

1) Is it blight?
2) Have I done the right thing
3) Is it likely to have spread to the other 2 varieties
4) will I be able to eat the main crop spuds?

Sorry for all the questions!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 20:30 by Kate and her Ducks »

Beetroot queen

Re: Pretty sure I have blight. Have I done the right thing?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 21:18 »
No idea here but it doesnt look great. I think i would have done the same as you

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 21:20 »
It does like it to me,keep a close eye on your others,you can try picking the first leaves as you see sign of them,just put an answer on your comments thread about leaving the spuds for 2 weeks before digging them up
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 22:14 »
I'm sure it will be OK, but I would suggest leaving further harvesting of spuds for 2 weeks.  This is the usual advice so that any spores can die before they come into contact with tubers.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Kirpi

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 00:19 »
I never understand why the blight map we are pointed to shows no blight in our area when we clearly have blight on our plots every year. Nothing yet, but I do wonder how reliable that map is when you get down to tiny plots on allotments.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 00:30 »
I never understand why the blight map we are pointed to shows no blight in our area when we clearly have blight on our plots every year. Nothing yet, but I do wonder how reliable that map is when you get down to tiny plots on allotments.

Doesn't it depend on people reporting it? If people don't report, it won't go on....

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 06:46 »
Sticking neck up over parapet, I'm not so sure it is blight, RJR, as you don't have the characteristic black scars normally associated with the disease. Can you try looking at Magnesium Deficiency in a Hessayon book. Isn't it more like that?

AnneB

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 07:52 »
Sticking neck up over parapet, I'm not so sure it is blight, RJR, as you don't have the characteristic black scars normally associated with the disease. Can you try looking at Magnesium Deficiency in a Hessayon book. Isn't it more like that?

I'll peek over the parapet with you Growster.  If you look google magnesium deficiency in potatoes and look at images, there are some very similar pictures to those posted by RJR.   Difficult to say, especially as blight map not showing a great deal as yet and everyone else at your site being OK. 

Are any of your other plants looking a bit yellow?  That might be an indication of magnesium deficiency in your soil.  In which case a dose of Epsom salts might help.  Interesting to see if others on your site get blight or not.  If you have it then I can't see them avoiding it for very long.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 08:49 »

I'll peek over the parapet with you Growster.  If you look google magnesium deficiency in potatoes and look at images, there are some very similar pictures to those posted by RJR.   Difficult to say, especially as blight map not showing a great deal as yet and everyone else at your site being OK. 

Are any of your other plants looking a bit yellow?  That might be an indication of magnesium deficiency in your soil.  In which case a dose of Epsom salts might help.  Interesting to see if others on your site get blight or not.  If you have it then I can't see them avoiding it for very long.

Ooh yes - definitely more like that! There are a few other plants further up that are looking slightly yellow.. Looks like I didn't need to cut it all down then :( oh well, better safe than sorry I suppose....

Where would I buy Epsom salts from? Would garden centres stock it?

AnneB

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 09:10 »
Yes you should be able to get it at a good garden centre.

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 09:15 »
Yup, garden centres are the best bet, as chemists will charge an arm and a leg, and maybe another body part..;0)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 09:19 »
I will be on to that today then. Just a teeny bit annoyed I 'panicked' and cut down all the elevates as they are bound to be tiny now but oh well lesson learnt for next year!

Auntiemogs

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 09:27 »
I will be on to that today then. Just a teeny bit annoyed I 'panicked' and cut down all the elevates as they are bound to be tiny now but oh well lesson learnt for next year!
Better to be safe than sorry though RJR. I'm guessing not everyone with a plot is so considerate and hope you get a reasonable harvest.  :) 
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

simonwatson

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 10:36 »
It looks a lot like pictures of early blight. Much less serious than late blight.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 10:47 »

Doesn't it depend on people reporting it? If people don't report, it won't go on....

Exactly so.  Kirpi - do what I have done and become a blight monitor.  PM me if you want the contact details.

AND I agree - definitely not late blight.

clip
Is this a nutrient thing or a pruning thing

Started by UrbanGrower on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 12, 2014, 15:09
by JayG
xx
I know it's not pretty but....

Started by Lady Lottie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 05:44
by Rangerkris
xx
Pretty Peas

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 12, 2009, 17:49
by Swing Swang
xx
Cauliflowers - pretty but useless

Started by ClaireMc on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post September 23, 2007, 12:28
by muntjac

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 33 queries.