Dahlias

• 8 Replies

noshed

Dahlias
« on: September 14, 2010, 21:42 »
I've grown some Wilcos crackers this year, do I have to dig them up for the winter?
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
Re: Dahlias
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 21:46 »
I think I might leave mine in this year as they're in a raised bed...... until someone tells me I'm mad and I'll lose them all!

noshed

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 12:00 »
I think I will as well - but it'll be your fault if it goes wrong. I'll mulch them a bit when they die back.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 12:10 »
I usually grow dahlias as annuals, but this time I left last year's in as tubers.

Winter killed the lot.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

noshed

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 14:07 »
I'll take a chance - they were only £1 from Wilcos and I grew a load of cuttings off them as advised by an expert on here.

Yabba

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 16:32 »
Winter killed the lot.
Last winter killed most peoples tubers, even killed a few of ours and we live in tropical blackpool!

About the only thing that saved most of them is the fact that our beds are under cover and were bone dry by the time the worst of the weather came. Not a sniff any would have survived otherwise.

¥

topgardener

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 19:53 »
Hi Noshed
In answer to your dahlia question, i have been growing dahlias for about 45 years and now i am growing some in large pots. I have had some4 beautiful blooms this last few years.
I am now letting them dry out and as soon as they are completely dry i will be lifting them and after cutting the tops back i will take them out and dry out the tubers. Once they are completely dry i will remove all the soil from the tubers and stand them upsidedown to let any water out.
Once they are dry trim off any dodgy bits of tuber and store in a frost proof shed . I usually wrap them in several layers of newspaper,leave them like that all winter and take theem out in feb to start them off again in trays of moist compost.
Hope this helps
bigtone

diggerjoe

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 15:46 »
Thats useful advice topgardner I fancy a big bed of them next year for cutting flowers theres a house on the way to Wales that we pass every autumn and their front garden is just one mass of dahilas its a real picture.

Wizzo

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 08:50 »
Hi Noshed
In answer to your dahlia question, i have been growing dahlias for about 45 years and now i am growing some in large pots. I have had some4 beautiful blooms this last few years.
I am now letting them dry out and as soon as they are completely dry i will be lifting them and after cutting the tops back i will take them out and dry out the tubers. Once they are completely dry i will remove all the soil from the tubers and stand them upsidedown to let any water out.
Once they are dry trim off any dodgy bits of tuber and store in a frost proof shed . I usually wrap them in several layers of newspaper,leave them like that all winter and take theem out in feb to start them off again in trays of moist compost.
Hope this helps

Thanks for the advice - So you dig yours up before they die back?

xx
Dahlias

Started by sclarke624 on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 19:32
by sclarke624
xx
Dahlias

Started by andy dewar on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post April 28, 2014, 18:54
by jaydig
xx
Dahlias

Started by Longshanks on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post March 23, 2020, 19:47
by rowlandwells
xx
Dahlias

Started by Elaine G on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 27, 2017, 13:31
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 35 queries.