Mr Bates v the post office

• 47 Replies

rowlandwells

Mr Bates v the post office
« on: January 03, 2024, 16:33 »
have you been watching Mr Bates  V the post office doesn't it make a change to watch something that's based on a true story my wife worked on the post for 20 years at our village post office she told me about these post office auditors visiting the village post office I have to say I really feel for those people who where wrongly accused some did time at HMP its unbelievable what these people went through because your guilty that's  what the computer says but judge its a computer error no its not go to jail your a thief can't wait to see the next instalment I know they got compensation but that's doesn't mend what's happened to there lives

Growster...

Re: Mr Bates v the post office
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 16:52 »
I think it's a total disgrace that all this happened through maladministration.

The get-out clause of saying that the perpetrators were 'only obeying orders' does nothing for the poor souls who lost so much, their homes and marriages, and even worse, took their lives.

From a recent post eleswhere...

"Fiona McGowan killed herself after being charged with false accounting over £30,000 that went 'missing' from her Edinburgh branch.

She was 47 when she was driven to end her own life in  2009

Her sons were 12 and 14"

I'm not sure if everyone did get compensation, but certainly those who aren't around any more won't benefit, and neither will their families! I hope Mrs Rowlandwells has got over the trauma - and you for that matter!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 18:20 »
There are still civil legal proceedings under way in many cases.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2024, 20:10 »
Yes we started it when the 1st episode aired then finished it all last night on ITV X , it was very good and so very sad, that all those poor people have suffered for so many years. As far as I’m aware no they haven’t yet received the compensation. On ITV X there is a programme of the true story, we’ve yet to watch it
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

AndyRVTR

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 07:51 »
Me & Mr's R watched the whole series last night, what a sad story!
I believe there's still ongoing proceedings going on with this case and I don't think compensation has been paid. But putting the money to one side some people lost everything, homes, family, marriages, trust in their communities and in some instances their lives! No doubt the government will drag its heels just like they have in the 'infected blood scandal' where more people will die, meaning less of a payout they will have to make!
We definitely need more Mr Bates in this world!

perris

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2024, 09:32 »
What is clear to me is that the power to prosecute must be taken off the Post Office. Even the police have to submit any criminal case and evidence to the CPS before people are tried. The Post Office did not even have to show their evidence to the accused, or, apparently, anyone else. Defendants were apparently unaware of their rights throughout, bullied by PO staff from start to finish. It's an outrageous and anachronistic abuse of the criminal justice system. And those responsible at Fujitsu and the Post Office should faced criminal prosecutions for their fraud - because if anyone stole any money by false accounting, it was the Post Office stealing from its postmaster and mistresses, and their families.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2024, 15:09 »
I thought it would be sad.  I followed it in the media, so decided not to watch. Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2024, 17:05 »
can't wait to see the final episode tonight and listening to some people who  say that woman that was at the top of the tree of the post office management should be stripped of her title [MBE] and I also believe she should from what she's coursed those innocent people only doing the jobs I have to say I have very little time for the present judicial service in this country today and as for giving out honours there's some that I definitely would not even consider worthy of receiving that so I'm yet to watch the Documentary on Mr Bates V Post office but looking forward to that in the mean time lets see the concluding episode brings tonight

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2024, 17:35 »
Hi, I hope it’s ok to add this link, apologies if not, can a mod please remove or I can
Just seen on Facebook this & signed
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/strip-paula-vennells-of-her-cbe?source=rawlink&utm_medium=socialshare&utm_source=rawlink&share=89d43537-9654-44e5-82a7-067d83691fc4

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2024, 18:17 »
Nice one Snows - just signed!

rowlandwells

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2024, 14:22 »
top man snowdrops just what I needed to do  there really needs to be some of those others who where involved in this cover up  being held to account for what they have done and the lethargy by one MP who was a post office minister not to get involved to call for an investigation mite have sorted this issue out far sooner and saved the misery and suffering of those wrongly accused  ending up with some taking  there own lives is unbelievable something to take into account in around 6 months time  >:(

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2024, 14:32 »
unbelievable something to take into account in around 6 months time  >:(

I'd just like to point out much of this scandal occurred under the previous government's watch. Private Eye magazine were reporting on these cases for many years before the mainstream media caught wind.
The first issue with the Horizon system appeared on around 2000/ 2001 if I recall.
I'd recommend anyone to read this piece on the history of what happened, but suffice to say all of the UK parties should be ashamed of this scandal.
https://www.private-eye.co.uk/pictures/special_reports/justice-lost-in-the-post.pdf

rowlandwells

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2024, 16:01 »
yep I think Plot1 we all know where to point the finger because  there where those who  got stuck in to help  to get justice for those wrongly accused and the others that sat on the fence

snowdrops

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2024, 16:10 »
unbelievable something to take into account in around 6 months time  >:(

I'd just like to point out much of this scandal occurred under the previous government's watch. Private Eye magazine were reporting on these cases for many years before the mainstream media caught wind.
The first issue with the Horizon system appeared on around 2000/ 2001 if I recall.
I'd recommend anyone to read this piece on the history of what happened, but suffice to say all of the UK parties should be ashamed of this scandal.
https://www.private-eye.co.uk/pictures/special_reports/justice-lost-in-the-post.pdf

Couldn’t agree more P1P. I personally don’t trust any of the political parties as far as I could throw them and have felt that way for many a long year having been ripped off for my state pension

Goosegirl

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2024, 08:55 »
On the news this morning, the Met are investigating frauds committed in this case. Nothing will ever recompense these innocent people, but let's hope that those who they find guilty hang their heads in public shame and are stripped not only of their office etc, but also their pension big time!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

clip
Can't argue with the Post Office this time.

Started by Lardman on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post September 09, 2022, 11:34
by DanielCoffey
xx
Post office message scam

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post April 17, 2022, 21:09
by Yorkie
xx
The Office

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post March 24, 2019, 12:13
by mrs bouquet
xx
Post-equinox over-eating

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post October 04, 2021, 22:10
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 55 queries.