How Do You Apply Diatom?

• 5 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
How Do You Apply Diatom?
« on: April 06, 2009, 11:19 »
Hi Everyone!  I tried to put Frontline on my new hens but they are too wise for me! I think the only way I will be able to get it on them would be to actually catch them and put it on while holding them.  Right now, half the drops are on the run floor.  :wacko: SO, tell me about Diatom, please, someone.  Do I hold chickens and put it under their wings and on their bottoms, like I would other lice powder?   I'll pick some up tomorrow and we'll have a go.  Thanks!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

smiler43

• Experienced Member
Re: How Do You Apply Diatom?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 13:22 »
Hiya, yeah hold them if you can get someone to help you it's easier.  Left the wings and dust underneath in their armpit, and under the tail but try not to get on the vent.  Or I saw a post saying sprinkle on them when they've gone to roost when they are more docile!  Hope that helps.  Also if they have a dustbath you can sprinkle some in there and they do it themselves :)

LittleRedHen

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 16:55 »
Thanks Smiler!  They do have a dust bath but like the plunker I am, I put RED MITE powder in it and so have not put the  :mad: thing in the run.  I am such a thicko!  I guess I'll just empty it out and start over.

smiler43

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 17:56 »
Is that a Wyandotte on your pic LittleRedHen?  My son got me a gold laced one for mothers day, my others still pecking her at mo though but hopefully it will get better.

LittleRedHen

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 19:46 »
She's a Brahma, I believe.  Oh I love Wynadottes and Welsummers!  I wanted those when we got ours on Saturday, but some of our hens will grow to be quite large and we were advised not to mix them. :(  You have a wonderful son!

smiler43

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 20:11 »
Your hens are gorgeous, not quite sure why you couldn't have a wyandotte as amber is bigger than my hybrids!  My son is wonderful, and a teenager!!!  He's the best, he's my best friend :o)

Amber, my new girl

xx
What should we apply to our new coop?

Started by RoyMK on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 17:26
by poultrygeist
xx
Diatom

Started by smiler43 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 25, 2008, 21:23
by Aunt Sally
xx
diatom

Started by ceri green on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 08, 2009, 17:07
by Chuckles
xx
diatom and its uses

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:11
by Flowerpower136

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 39 queries.