Saving tomato seed

• 14 Replies

Auntiemogs

Saving tomato seed
« on: September 17, 2019, 16:58 »
I've been growing Cour de Bue sor a couple of years now, and they've been great!  This year I had one particular plant that stood out from the rest in terms of size of crop and the shape of the fruit (these little beauties weighed in at over 5lb!), so I set them aside and when I started saucing them today I saved the seeds.

I've read differing opinions on whether to ferment the seeds or not before drying, and I just wondered what people's experiences were in terms of viability and length of storage time of the seeds?

AM  :)
Tom2019.jpg
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Saving tomato seed
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 17:14 »
I know you are supposed to ferment them, but I just wash them a bit in a fine sieve, under the cold tap, so they can be separated, then leave them to dry on a paper plate. They grow each year ;)

I mean nature doesn't ferment seeds, does it  ::)

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 19:35 »
How do they stack up flavourwise against other sauce tomatoes such as San Marzano?

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 20:59 »
Thanks Mum - I'll do a half and half and see if there's any noticeable difference.  :)

I haven't grown SM for a good few years DHM, and these are lovely so I won't bother with other varieties now.   They're excellent for saucing (very fleshy, with thin skin and very few seeds) and delicious in a sandwich or a salad.  Everyone I've passed them on to has remarked on how tasty they are.  If you want a few seeds PM me and I'll pop them in the post - there were hundreds in the packet!

AM :-)

Mr Dog

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 22:03 »
On the couple of occasions I've fermented seed they've sprouted in the mix! Mum's method works fine for me too.

PS when I first read your post I thought you meant each fruit was over 5lbs in weight! You'd win a fair few heaviest tomato competitions with those  :)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 22:07 by Mr Dog »

Plot94

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 12:06 »
I usually just dry them on paper towel and sow them with paper attached. I have read (on real seeds website) that this method means seeds will be viable for 1-2 years whereas using the fermenting method will mean the seeds are viable for up to 7 years. So I think it depends on how soon you will be using them  :)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 12:28 »
PS when I first read your post I thought you meant each fruit was over 5lbs in weight! You'd win a fair few heaviest tomato competitions with those  :)
I can only dream Mr Dog - not sure my freezer (or I) could cope with that much sauce!  :lol:

I usually just dry them on paper towel and sow them with paper attached. I have read (on real seeds website) that this method means seeds will be viable for 1-2 years whereas using the fermenting method will mean the seeds are viable for up to 7 years. So I think it depends on how soon you will be using them  :)
Yes, I read something like that too Plot94.  I'm very good at putting things in a 'safe place', so maybe that would be the best option for me after all!  :nowink: :D

All I have to do now is find an heirloom cherry tomato in the same league....

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 22:06 »
I agree with your comments on Cuor di Bue - I grew them for the first time this year and will definitely grow them again. As regards a cherry tomato I think Sungold is the tastiest I have tried - but it's not a heritage as it's an F1. I am going to try and clone it this year by over wintering a few side shoots. But I would be interested if anyone has tried an heirloom cherry.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 22:13 »

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 16:55 »
what happens when you sow saved seed from f1's? I'm thinking of saving sung old but not sure if it's worth it?

would I get a mutant crop or no crop at all, even if they germinate? :nowink:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 17:38 »
They will grow and fruit, but you can't guarantee they will taste the same as Sungold. Like our children they are a mixture of mother/father/grandparents etc.
They may be very nice, but they won't be the same ;)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2019, 17:42 »
I agree with your comments on Cuor di Bue - I grew them for the first time this year and will definitely grow them again. As regards a cherry tomato I think Sungold is the tastiest I have tried - but it's not a heritage as it's an F1. I am going to try and clone it this year by over wintering a few side shoots. But I would be interested if anyone has tried an heirloom cherry.
Now that's an excellent idea Dev!  I shall try to get a few going to overwinter on the window sill (or light box if necessary).   :)

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2019, 18:31 »
They will grow and fruit, but you can't guarantee they will taste the same as Sungold. Like our children they are a mixture of mother/father/grandparents etc.
They may be very nice, but they won't be the same ;)

thanks, i'm almost curious to see if they are even better....what could possibly go wrong :lol:

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2019, 05:19 »

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2019, 05:24 »
Auntiemogs - as my Sungold are coming to the end of their production they are throwing off lots of side shoots, some of which I have left to get some more toms. I think I will try some of the smaller sturdier shoots to clone, but I suspect that stopping them getting leggy and producing flowers at this time of the year - especially with our current Indian summer - will be a problem. I will try keeping them cool and shady to start with. Interesting to find out though!

xx
Saving F1 tomato seed

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 23, 2023, 07:01
by Growster...
xx
Saving tomato seed

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 25, 2009, 16:24
by poodle
xx
Saving tomato seed for next year

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post August 02, 2015, 17:24
by Headgardener22
xx
When saving tomato seed do i have to dry for several days/weeks to germ?

Started by green_fingered_ash on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post June 25, 2011, 09:52
by Vit

Page created in 0.877 seconds with 55 queries.