Various

• 3 Replies

simbamara

• Experienced Member
Various
« on: September 16, 2019, 22:03 »
Hello friends

I have several questions

1.I have lots of green tomatoes & I am worried whether they will all ripen on the plants in this autumn weather.
Some plants have begun stem rot , some tomatoes going black
Can someone suggest tried & tested method/s of ripening them off the plants please ?

2. I have some purple sweet potatoes & I would like to convert them into Seed sweet potatos ?

3. What can be planted in September ?

4. My sunflowers are huge & bending , is it time to cut the older ones ?

Thanks

DHM

• Experienced Member
Re: Various
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 23:00 »
Last year it took my tomatoes AGES to go red but this year they seem to be ripening on the plant which is encouraging. I had tomato blight last year so I stripped my plants and simply left them spread out on the back garden patio. Those that didnt succumb to blight off the plant did go red after about 4 weeks.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 09:42 »
Stems and tomatoes going black, sounds like blight. Pick all unmarked toms and bring indoors, leave in single layer in boxes or on trays to ripen. If they have blight spores on them they will go black anyway. Any that missed the spores will eventually ripen. I usually cut my losses and make green tomato chutney.

Keep sweet potatoes cool and frost free (12-15C is perfect) and put them in sprout early next year. Advice here https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=87463.0
The sites sowing and harvest chart here, https://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable-sowing-harvest-chart/ to view/download pdf. 
I'd say Pak Choi and mustard greens, winter lettuce, corn salad or green manure to improve the soil. Broad beans towards the end of the month.

Cut the biggest heads to save them dropping seeds everywhere...

simbamara

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 11:36 »
Thank you DHM , Leslie....for putting me right !

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 44 queries.