Lifting Tulip Bulbs

• 3 Replies

bendipa

Lifting Tulip Bulbs
« on: September 05, 2012, 13:01 »
I have some tulip bulbs which gave a good display in my window boxes last spring. But I want to transfer then to a bed. The problem is they all are rooted, and if I lift them now and replant in November killing the roots, will that prevent them from flowering next spring, or will they grow new roots to replace any broken ones?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Lifting Tulip Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 13:04 »
If you were dividing tulips or planting new bulbs, you'd be thinking of doing it around about now or soon in the next month or so, so I think from now on is a perfectly good time to do it.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 13:33 »
I agree. The existing roots don't have to be chopped up but you can dig around the roots and take them up in a small soil clump, or tease the roots free, they'll never know the difference. In the new hole do be sure to add some blood fish and bonemeal (BFB) to feed them.

bendipa

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 18:17 »
Following on from my original question I dug up the my bulbs from my container,. some of these I recognised as the original 5 tulips I planted a year ago but still a plump size with 17 extra smaller ones of varying sizes that I ddn't plant,

Also there are some round white bulbs about the size of medium hyacinths, but must be muscaria as those were the only other bulbs I planted in the container, but seemed much smaller a year ago.  These have numerous small bubils attached to the base,some of which have small stems already sprouting. All the muscaria have full roots, unlike the tulips which had none. I've replanted the biggest muscaria having removed all the bubils, but unsure what to do about these bubils. All look too small to flower. Is it worth keeping them?

xx
Tulip bulbs

Started by sclarke624 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 31, 2011, 20:54
by Trillium
xx
Tulip bulbs

Started by evie2 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post December 14, 2014, 14:33
by sunshineband
xx
Tulip bulbs

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 08, 2021, 18:10
by mdjlucan
xx
Tulip bulbs

Started by PeterR on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2008, 11:34
by PeterR

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 38 queries.