New Hen House Help!!

• 7 Replies

babaloo151070

New Hen House Help!!
« on: June 02, 2012, 20:38 »
Hello everyone,

Ive been looking into getting a large scale housing for my hen and her nine chicks which in no time will be as big as her.

I have seen a nice wendy house measuring 6x6 ft which I know will need some alterations to it but just wanted to see what you all thought and if any of you have done this before.

it says that its had a base coat of treatment!

Its brand new and comes straight from a supplier!

Below is a link to a catalogue which sells it
http://www.kandco.com/6-x-6-ft-barnhouse-childrens-playhouse/698640160.prd?browseToken=%2fb%2f3279%2fq%2fgarden+buildins%2fr%2f100&trail=3279

Prod

Re: New Hen House Help!!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 21:21 »
If you need something that big, personally I would adapt a garden shed at much less cost. The breeder I bought my hens from had dozens of sheds and they worked fine. 

babaloo151070

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 21:26 »
oh its not that much money lol i should have explained. where im getting it from dont have a site but this is the exact same one.

ehs284

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 22:08 »
Nope! Specification is designed as a mite's paradise; tongue & grooved with a felt roof.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 05:49 »
They also do not need windows. Either adapt a shed (and remove the felt off the roof and replace with onduline or similar) or buy a proper coop. How many hens are you hoping to keep and will they be large fowl, bantams or true bantams?
Staffies are softer than you think.

babaloo151070

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 08:16 »
Morning everyone, like I said yes it does need changes made to it such as: the windows will be replaced with wire mesh and a sliding wooden shutters and the felt roof is also being changed. As far as the tongue and groove my first coop I got which was second hand then my current one were made from this and I had no problem with red mite.

The farm that I got my original hen from uses feather sexing and has a good success rate with this. I did it myself as soon as they were able to be handled the following day after hatching and she confirmed my results the next day with only one that was a bit either way lol.

Out of the nine three are with out a doubt Roos so I will end up with 7 all together.

Yes it's a large coop area but I will be able to create a small area cut off from the rest of the coop by a false wall to put a shelve with all my equipment.  
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 08:18 by babaloo151070 »

impossible5072

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 09:06 »
Hi there

I have had chickens for a while and for mine I have to say I pampered them with a built coop from a carpenter with my specs so no felt animal safe paint etc and you may find it more beneficial to spend the money on the run and get something a bit smaller my house cost £100.  The recommendations of shop bought coops are quite often wrong as although realistically you could give them all that space they will still huddle at night.  The outside space is much more important.  Things like fox proofing etc.  Also you might find it useful to know those cockerels should really be with groups of hens like about 11 or 12 each to stop them fighting, some live in perfect harmony but human nature states they want their own harem.  I am sure the guys here will have plenty more advise for you, they are a lovely bunch. WHat chucks have you had before?  B

babaloo151070

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 09:30 »
Hi there,

All my boys will be going to a farm near me as I am unable to have roos where i live.  I started off with three light sussex. I lost one when they first came into lay.  As you know at the start eggs are iregular shape and size and one day she layed the most HUGE egg and well all i'll say is it wasn't nice.  After a trip to my nearest farm animal vet and a small op to repair the damage she was fine for about an hour after and suddenly died probably down to the annethetic.  I lost another shortly befor my remaining hen went broody.  she was free ranging around my garden next doors dog leaped my fence and the rest you can guess for your self (thankfully they have moved now).  My chicks are a mix of large fowel and bantum.

Light sussex, Moran, Buff Orp, Excheaqure Leghorn, Silver Polish, Black and white Polish, Barnvelder and Salmon Faverolle.

The use of the housing isn't not just for them to be safe at night etc burt also fe me to store equiptment and supplies for them and also to keep my broody coop.

xx
Hen house

Started by dugless on The Hen House

30 Replies
Last post August 20, 2008, 00:32
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
hen house

Started by owein on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 23, 2010, 22:16
by IMOmimey
xx
What do you think of this Hen House?

Started by gsc on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 14:57
by nicky d
xx
Which Hen House ?

Started by stamford on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 21:00
by milly8

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 40 queries.