New hen house and run

• 20 Replies

woodsmoke

Re: New hen house and run
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 21:44 »
I have had my chooks two weeks and have not had the courage to let them out into the garden.  If I do it would have to be an hour a day after work, when I am around but I have been told it must be very regularly or not at all, and I wonder about the damage to the garden.  The lawn they have pretty much destroyed especially as one is a digger!  The garden is plant packed but well established, mainly shrubs and perennials rather than bedding.  What do people think?  I want a garden too!

bee

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 21:51 »
I'm very new to all this so not in a position to give advice, but I found my chickens got really tame once they were about to lay - and squatting to me when I stroked them! (I'd had them about 8 weeks.) Now I let them out if I'm home in time, which isn't every day, and they follow me anywhere - but their eyes are on the plastic cup they recognise. It contains their corn treats and a few shakes of that and I'm the Pied Piper. Wherever they are they come running and follow me back to their run. If they hear me in the garden, they ask to come out, but otherwise they dig away happily in their run.

mumsy

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 22:07 »
Hi Woodsmoke

I let mine free range during the winter only, they do have a huge run for the summer.  I fence off my borders with netting & netting poles from wilkos.  They don't wreck my grass but keep it trimmed & fertilised during the winter, as long as they have somewhere to have a dustbath they are very happy.

power_of_p3

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 23:02 »
Hi squidgy,

Great run, looks like you did a great job in building it yourself.  We went for the easy option of buying one and have ince foudn out that they need more run space.  We currently have an 8x3 run with  a roost and nestbox on top so we're going to double the bottom space by adding 2foot back. 

What have you got in the nest boxes, cause it loks like sawdust to me and I was told that that wasn't a good idea because of respiratory (sp) problems, so if it is you might want to switch to straw or paper.  plus I find that easier to clean cause you just sorta pick it all up together :)

As for your breeds a couple of them look laced so they could be wynadottes, we have one but she;s buff with a little lace.  I've not been keeping chooks long myself but had a look at almost every breed available to me so I could make an informed decision.  I'm sure someone else on here can giv eyou a positive on the breed anyway.

If you extend the run so its longer, like someone else said a couple perches outside would be good, just stuck in at an angle.  I think i'm going to do that myself tomorrow although ours isnm't very high so i'll have to see how it goes.

But anywas I cna't have ramble, great run and you have lovely girls.  Good luck in your keeping.

BB ~~jo~~

colliebird

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 10:56 »
I have had my chooks two weeks and have not had the courage to let them out into the garden.  If I do it would have to be an hour a day after work, when I am around but I have been told it must be very regularly or not at all, and I wonder about the damage to the garden.  The lawn they have pretty much destroyed especially as one is a digger!  The garden is plant packed but well established, mainly shrubs and perennials rather than bedding.  What do people think?  I want a garden too!

I had a garden  :( but it's now the dog's "field."  My hens have an enormous run, grass, trees, shrubs, everything they need, but I decided a couple of time to let them out in the "garden."  They trashed it in no time, so they now stay in their run and the geese are let out in the garden when the dogs are closed on the terrace. 
Valerie

"The moral progress of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals" - Gandhi

squidgy

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 17:41 »
Well i took the risk and let them in the garden yesterday and they was fine so they been out all day today :).I all so got 3 silkies yesterday and i love them :) :) i will post a pic when i can get one

xx
my run and house

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 04, 2008, 16:53
by karlooben
xx
new hen house

Started by bailey on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 09, 2009, 02:00
by hillfooter
xx
Why won't my hen fly up into its house?

Started by Catk on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 10, 2011, 06:11
by DD.
xx
Hen house

Started by Jo-n-Neil on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post February 08, 2008, 21:08
by Foxy

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 36 queries.