cockerel and noise and complaint

• 6 Replies

spongebob

cockerel and noise and complaint
« on: April 03, 2009, 00:27 »
hi all

had a great day at work yesterday sun shining until i came home

i got a letter from the council about the noise level from my cockerel
i had the cockerel from the end of oct and its taken till now for some one to blooming complain about it
im so peed of because i got use to him and hes a great cockerel does not crow alot at all
the letter goes like this

i have to inform you that my divison has recently received a complaint alleging that excessive levels of noise caused by noise from cockerel's are arising from your premises to such an extent as to cause annoyance to nearby residents.

the division has not checked the accuracy of the complaint and purposer of this letter is to firstly advise of the complaint and secondly to advise you of the legal situation. the council is under the duty to in vestigate all complaints and it may be necessary to undertake a monitoring exerise sudsequently.

under the environmental protection act 1990 action can be taken through a magistrates court againts any persons who cause noise so loud or unreasonable as to constitute a noise nuisance. such action can be taken directly by the complaintant.

i must therefore advise you to consider carefully the level of noise being emitted from your premises. if it could be causing a nuisance to others then i suggest you take immediate steps to control the noise to avoid the risk of further action

i am sure however that given goodwill the matter can be resolved amicably

im going to ring the council up to found out what the complaint is if its in the morning or in the day

but any advise you could give woulkd be great many thanks

shiatsusu

Re: cockerel and noise and complaint
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 08:27 »
It's a shame whoever has complained didn't talk to you about it first- if you can manage to speak in person I reckon you'd be able to sort the whole thing out so I'd ask the neighbours (politely!) if they have been bothered by the noise. If you phrase it right you've got a good chance of being able to resolve it amicably. HTB always says to me - think what you're trying to achieve (the end result) rather than how hurt/cross/shocked you are (venting your emotions!!). Hope you get it sorted. Good luck. ;)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 08:32 »
It depends where you live and how close your neighbours are.

If I was in a country location and not near to neighbours that would be woken by a cockerel at 3 am on a June morning then I'd like to have a cockerel but would never consider one where I live in a suburban/small village area.  

Why do you have the cockerel spongebob ?  Are you breeding from him ?

spongebob

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 09:08 »

Why do you have the cockerel spongebob ?  Are you breeding from him ?

we got him because the breader that we got the hens from thought it was a hen they where point of laying but other things went wrong with a couple of other birds and i fell out thats another story waste of time the breader is

but hes great had no probs with him at all even lets me stroke him hes one cool cockerel i can go in the run pick his girls up and not a prob my youngest hes the same with her
had thought about breeding him with my silver lace wynedottie but not got around to it
the only time he crows is about 6:30 am till about 7ish pm but is not all day
i live near the airport the plains taking off inthe morning make more blooming noise

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 09:30 »

the only time he crows is about 6:30 am till about 7ish pm but is not all day

Which will become earlier as the mornings get lighter until in June dawn is about 3:30am where I live.

Just imagine it wasn't your cockerel but your neighbours dog barking for an hour early every morning or what may be the middle of your sleeping time in the hight of summer.  Don't think I'd be pleased  >:(
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 09:31 by Aunt Sally »

ejcleanup

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 09:07 »
Gday

My wife is an Environmental Health Officer and we have two hens so I can see both sides of the argument.

Just a thought but have you tired putting a bar across the roof, inside the house, so that the cock would be unable to stretch his neck in order to crow, as long as the bar is suspended loosely so that it swings when the head touches it.The continued swinging, it is claimed has a deterring effect.

Or

Another approach was to keep the male in his own house and block up all the chinks through which light can enter. The problem is that the flow of air is also restricted. He would probably stop crowing, but for the wrong reason

good luck

Ed

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 10:08 »

Just a thought but have you tired putting a bar across the roof, inside the house, so that the cock would be unable to stretch his neck in order to crow, as long as the bar is suspended loosely so that it swings when the head touches it.The continued swinging, it is claimed has a deterring effect.

My dad dit this and the cockerel learnt to crow by pusing his neck forwards instead of upwards  ::)  I can't remember what he tasted like  ;)

xx
cockerel noise

Started by azubah on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 28, 2009, 20:50
by coco
exclamation
cockerel noise and the law

Started by freebirdy on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 18:33
by Tony H
xx
Noise?

Started by francais on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 13, 2009, 20:13
by grumpydad
xx
New noise.

Started by Lardman on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 19:17
by raeburg

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 29 queries.