What was the first thing you did when you got your new plot?

• 25 Replies

Ourveggiepatch

• Experienced Member
Hya

What was the first thing you did when you got your new allotment? did you just dig a small area to grow a few late season veg or did you dig the whole plot.

We have just taken over a new plot which was previously used as a field for horses and before that as a footie pitch!  main weeds are grass and creeping buttercups and heather.

We have decided to prep the plot properly, getting in paths, beds and digging in loads of horse muck much to the anguish of some of the other plotholders who want to see us growing at least something but, we are in the opinion that its better to prep thoroughly first taking our time getting the soil good rather than rushing in and growing weak plants which could lead to viruses getting into the soil.

should we therefore heed the advice of more experienced plotholders on the adjoining site or, go with our own gut instinct and spend the next few months getting the ground good for winter and then sowing in spring/early summer next year?

Your opinion would be welcome.

Thanks

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 17:07 by Ourveggiepatch »

kinola

I sighed and rolled up my sleeves!

Welcome!
Never eat anything bigger than your head.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
I would suggest a combined approach, in that it is a real pity if you don't get any produce at all this year - not least from a motivational perspective.

I'd suggest aiming to clear a relatively small proportion quickly, then put annual things like salad leaves, beetroot, spinach, dwarf beans, etc - stuff that grows quickly - in that bed, so you've got something to keep you going whilst you do focus on clearing the rest of the plot for a clean start next year.

It is very easy to get a little disheartened when all that is in front of you is yet more digging and clearing and no immediate reward.

NB. I'm sure you will do so, but if you don't grow anything on cleared land, make sure it's covered or regularly hoed to prevent weed regrowth.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Im in full agreement with prepping your plot if you can be patient.  I dug some hasty beds when I got mine (beginning of June last year) and plonked loads of stuff in, which with hindsight has set me back a while this year.

and welcome!

"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
I was impatient to see something edible growing personally! ::)  Cleared it all down to ground level, covered up a large portion, dug over and weeded a decent sized patch and planted potatoes, leeks, parnsips, peas, sunflowers and nasturtiums, planted some pumpkins through the plastic on the covered up bit and just keep plugging away at the weedy areas bit by bit.  That way, when I stop to have a rest I can gaze lovingly at my veggie plants swaying in the breeze and feel like my efforts are worth it! :D

But that's just me - its YOUR plot, do what you like I say! :D
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

Lady Lottie

Im in full agreement with prepping your plot if you can be patient.  I dug some hasty beds when I got mine (beginning of June last year) and plonked loads of stuff in, which with hindsight has set me back a while this year.

and welcome!

How did it set you back Peapod?  Just curious.....in case I am heading for the same fate! :)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
There was already a concrete base built that was originally for a chicken shed, so I put a shed on there (with room for a GH) when I can afford one.  I then put a new fence and gates around.  Then we measured out all the 14 beds ( af friend has his own 3 raised beds)  to the same size (4ft by 14ft)  for ease of netting and rotation.  I put in permanent paths through all the plot.  Its whats known as a 'graveyard plot'  :lol:  I am quite tempted to get some headstones carved with veggy names on them  :D

As I had planted up, we had to work around the veg,and so I didnt get all the beds set up permanently, so Ive still got another two beds and path between to set up.  That would have been done last year.  I also manured half of the plot in autumn

Lady Lottie

There was already a concrete base built that was originally for a chicken shed, so I put a shed on there (with room for a GH) when I can afford one.  I then put a new fence and gates around.  Then we measured out all the 14 beds ( af friend has his own 3 raised beds)  to the same size (4ft by 14ft)  for ease of netting and rotation.  I put in permanent paths through all the plot.  Its whats known as a 'graveyard plot'  :lol:  I am quite tempted to get some headstones carved with veggy names on them  :D

As I had planted up, we had to work around the veg,and so I didnt get all the beds set up permanently, so Ive still got another two beds and path between to set up.  That would have been done last year.  I also manured half of the plot in autumn

Ohh......sounds like a fantastic plot to me!  Mine just looks, little.....and......amateur!  :D   :lol: @ the "graveyard plot" - you should definately get veggie headstones - brilliant... :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Point to think on.

If you're intent on clearing this year and planting nothing, it will be 2 years before you see winter onions & garlic, nearly as long for spring cabbage!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
Re: What was the first thing you did when you got your new plot?
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 20:02 »
I think its a personal choice. I'm not the most patient person so I did my garden in stages and started veg off in pots and trays and planted as I went  :D
You have not lost the battle unless you quit :)

Michelle x

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 22:08 »
I strimmed the 6ft high weeds flat with a borrowed petrol strimmer so I could see what i had, then I measured the plot and drew a plan of how I wanted it to look. That was the first plan of many  :) then I prepared a small area for spuds whilst the weeds went mental on the rest of the plot. Now 6 years into it and still trying to fully tame the plot and havin a ball at the same time!  :D
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Elcie

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 22:11 »
We gradually cleared, built raised beds as we went along and planted them as they were ready.  This meant we had a rather strange looking plot initially which was overgrown in some areas and lovely raised beds with veg growing in others.  But in my opinion it was worth it.  The point of the allotment is to grow on it and it keeps you going there to see how things are doing and you just can't help but clear a little bit more each time.

outmowed

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 22:48 »
Once you can get at your soil if its bad, dig a few holes or pits as they are known to about two spades depth at various points around the lotty just to get an idea whats under there. 

peterjf

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 23:11 »
had a pee in a watering can

xx
If you could have one new thing on your plot this year...

Started by Flowertot on Grow Your Own

48 Replies
Last post January 07, 2014, 15:32
by crh75
clip
Is this a nutrient thing or a pruning thing

Started by UrbanGrower on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 12, 2014, 15:09
by JayG
xx
Just one thing.....

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 15, 2017, 20:34
by Blewit
xx
Is there such a thing

Started by Redwellies on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 26, 2007, 17:12
by WG.

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 39 queries.