Fat Hen Advice.

• 7 Replies

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
Fat Hen Advice.
« on: September 04, 2022, 14:20 »
I have made the decision to take an adjoining half plot on our local allotment. It's in general good shape, not long uncultivated. But it has quite a covering of the said Fat Hen. Not requiring any of this plot for next seasons growing, I thought I would pitch my idea to y'all about scything down the 18 inch or so plants and covering it with a very large plastic tarpaulin that I have.  It could be left this way for a long time. So the important question is: would this be a good way of getting rid of the stuff, and maybe adding nutrients to the soil at the same time.....like green manure.

snowdrops

Re: Fat Hen Advice.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 16:16 »
I’d think that was fine if it’s not seeding. I’d add some overlapping layers of brown cardboard if you can get it too, the worms seem to love it. By the way are you really in Russia? Don’t know why I thought they wouldn’t have allotments  :wacko:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Christine

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 19:43 »
If the fat hen has had a long period to seed you'll be getting it back in places you don't expect for a year or two. I had a fine crop in the allotment hedges and it did my hands no good getting it all out.

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 16:50 »
It's a toss up between the back breaking job of hand pulling them and risking the idea I pitched before. I am now leaning toward pulling because they sure are in some stage of seeding and maybe it would prove a big mistake to do otherwise. Thanks for the replies, you folks always help in decision making for me.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 17:26 »
Certainly in that case I’d cover with a good few overlapping layers of brown cardboard to stop any light getting through, then if you can add as much well rotted mulch as you can muster, then either plant into it ,if you do this water the cardboard really well first. If you do cover use a membrane that lets water through, then it will be ready when you are.

jezza

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2022, 22:46 »
Hello isnt fat hen the same family as Quinoa that's used as a gluten free flour ,dont know whether that seed is edible if it is take the seed off  then cut the stems down  and cover with sheeting and card board,   jezza

rhysdad

• Experienced Member

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2022, 15:59 »
I have been reading about different uses for fat hen, from leaves to the seed. So as an experiment I might just have a go at an Indian style bhaji using leaves in the way I'd normally prepare spinach or chard. It does seem like an injustice to the stuff, not try it out.

xx
Seed potatoes - advice and general advice on how to start an allotment

Started by barnowl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 17:34
by kloggs
xx
Plot clearing advice. Opinions and advice valued.

Started by Devondumpling on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2017, 19:54
by snowdrops
xx
PSB advice please

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 23, 2023, 18:22
by missmoneypenny
xx
Pea advice

Started by New Kid On The Plot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 22, 2011, 20:39
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 44 queries.