HELP For a Newbie

• 22 Replies

hazelize_uk

HELP For a Newbie
« on: March 08, 2008, 14:19 »
Hi All I have just collected 15 Ex Bats and they all seem fairly happy pecking around their new home.  I've been doing loads of research for months but seem to have missed something so simple.  Do I need to mix the layers mash with water or do they eat it just dry?? :shock:

NormandyMary

HELP For a Newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 14:47 »
I may be thick, but just what is this layers mash you all talk about? When I got mine, I was told to give them a mixture of grain, pellets and maize. Is mash what you get in the UK? Are my girlies missing out on something good? (8 eggs today!!!)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
HELP For a Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 14:50 »
Mix it with water is best, altough I don't think they do in the battery sheds.

Mash can be quite dusty and give them breathing problems.

5 parts mash to 3 parts water by volume.  I use hot water as it takes less time to soak.  It will be easier for you if you gradually introduce them to layers pellets.

I give my girls some warm mash in the afternoons as a treat :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
HELP For a Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 15:16 »
On the advice our our BHWT regional bloke, we gave our ex batts pellets straight away.  they were fine and there's less mess!!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
HELP For a Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 15:31 »
I changed from mash to pellets far less waste I found, but I fed it them dry.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
HELP For a Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 15:34 »
Oh yes, pellets defo dry, but plenty of water for them to drink and wash it all down!!!

alibean

• Experienced Member
HELP For a Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 19:01 »
I've bought a bag of mash for my ex-batts but aim to 'ween' them onto the pellets gradually by the end of the bag. Interesting to hear that you can get them on pellets straight away - the BHWT website says they might not recognise the pellets hence to start on mash - but I guess their natural inquisitiveness won't allow them to go hungry!

I am guessing that a mash/water mix might make a mess of the feeders I have brought.  Is it ok to feed it dry just until they've got used to the pellets?

Bodger

HELP For a Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 19:04 »
I don't like feeding mash really, if you feed it dry you get quite a bit of waste and the rancid smell of soaked mash that has stood around for a while is not very pleasant.

Wildeone

HELP For a Newbie
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 19:10 »
I've just gradually moved my girls from mash to pellets and today was their first day with a pellets and they trashed the feeder!!!  :shock:  They tipped it over and scratched all the pellets into the mud looking for the bits of mash i suppose  :?  They'll learn i suppose!  :roll:
1 x hubby
2 x daughters
3 x chickens
1 x bunny
6 x african snails  . . . . . and counting.

hazelize_uk

HELP For a Newbie
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 19:31 »
Hi thanks for all the advice - i was told to get mash as they wouldnt recognise anything else but to introduce different foods gradually.  I have mixed it with warm water which seems much better as it looked very dusty without it and they were flicking it around alot! Now its moist it is staying in the feeder nicely - but they are eating rabbit food and his carrot apple and celery so I dont think they care if they recognise it or not!!!   :roll:

I've been sitting watching them all afternoon - better than any telly program ive ever seen  :lol:  They seem to be enjoying giving their wings a good stretch and are busy scratching about.  We are already noticing different characters from little miss bossy boots, to miss clever clogs that spent half an hour reading the newspaper that fell on the floor!!

Hope they get on ok overnight as its a bit nippier than they are used to, they have loads of room but seem to have gone to sleep piled on top of each other in the corner??  :shock:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
HELP For a Newbie
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 19:55 »
Dry mash is dusty and can give breathing problems.  Wet mash MUST be changed every day, so only give enough to last the day.   I agree that they should be weaned off of mash onto pellets.  

I think the reason for starting them off on mash is so that they don't go without feed while they are learning that pellets are OK to eat,  They are not fit enough to go without food.  It took my last hen about 4 days to learn to eat pellets.

hazelize_uk

HELP For a Newbie
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 20:01 »
is there a 'rough' amount that would last a day? - is it best to mix up say a small batch in the morning, and if that all goes another batch at dinner time?  

I obviously dont want them to go hungry and will be keeping them inside for at least the next week with it being so cold and windy so they wont really be able to scratch about for extra bits of food.

But also i dont want to mix up loads and throw it away everynight or over feed them!  oooh questions questions! sorry  :roll:

babe

• elvis king of chooks
HELP For a Newbie
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 20:06 »
when i got the ex batts, i started them with layers mash, and slowly ive been mixing more and more pellets in and phazing the mash out.

they love trying new stuff, and go mental when its corn time.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
HELP For a Newbie
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 20:07 »
Small batch at a time until you can see how much they need would be the thing I would do Hazel  :D

hazelize_uk

HELP For a Newbie
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 21:18 »
ok will do.  Im so worried about them i want to go and sit out there with a torch to see if they are ok!! :shock:  

I'll make them some nice warm fresh for breakfast not sure if the family will get any dinner tommorrow though - think i might be in the shed for sometime!  :lol:

xx
Newbie!!

Started by Letty on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 10, 2009, 19:21
by GrannieAnnie
xx

Started by l.bailey on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 14:56
by l.bailey
xx
Newbie!

Started by clairebeau on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 02, 2008, 20:48
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
newbie: how can i get them to eat?

Started by rebecca.smiles on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 00:28
by penninehillbilly

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 28 queries.