Decent utility Light Sussex near Derby?

• 5 Replies

kopperdrake

• Experienced Member
  • One Step at a Time
    • Merrybower Homestead
Decent utility Light Sussex near Derby?
« on: April 03, 2012, 01:10 »
Does anyone know of a breeder providing decent utility Light Sussex hens within a reasonable distance of Derby? Not after show queens, or those from show queen breeders that are too ugly to show! After proper utility strain with decent egg laying trait.

Any pointers much appreciated!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
Re: Decent utility Light Sussex near Derby?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 08:23 »
I got a couple from Stores new Sheffield

http://www.storrspoultry.co.uk/

May be a step to far for you though.

Got a couple of light sussex and they are big heavy birds, but still giving me an average of 6 eggs a week.

Lew
I hate signatures but love irony

kopperdrake

• Experienced Member
  • One Step at a Time
    • Merrybower Homestead
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 10:15 »
Hi Joyfull - thanks for that, yes I did :) The hard part about that is that some just call them 'utility' birds, but what they sometimes mean is that they're not up to show standards and so are only good to be sold as layers. I'm really looking for someone who's tried to get the breed back to a decent utility standard as they used to be pre-showing popularity. The best way I figured was to ask if anyone has any - sounds like Lew might have found some decent ones at 6 eggs a week!

Lew - thanks for that - it's only an hour and a quarter away - doable, especially with their prices! Something closer would be better I guess, but I'll definitely bear them in mind - cheers :)

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 11:20 »
My layers came from North Wingfield but he does have pure breeds etc so he might be able to help you, or point you in the right direction

Little Morton Farm, North Wingfield, who is on the list here  :)  There are quite a few listed here cos I just checked

Good luck

kopperdrake

• Experienced Member
  • One Step at a Time
    • Merrybower Homestead
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 12:02 »
Ooh thanks - I've also just left a message for the one listed at Crich too - I'm sure I'll find some decent layers. If I do end up buying some that are decent layers I'll be sure to post on here in case any other people want Light Sussex layers. I'd ideally like to hatch some of my own at some stage, hence the reason to find a decent blood line. Unfortunately the cockerel we ended up with (he was wandering the lane outside as a young'uin - not even with his adult tail feathers, and we can't find an owner near us who's lost one), turns out to be what we think is New Hampshire Red - great for eating but not the best layers, so he's no good as a breeding cockerel for us. We've also come to like him immensely - he's very tame and will let you hold him, stroke him, with no arguments, so it looks like any attempt at breeding will be years away yet! I don't fancy introducing another cockerel, or having two separate flocks.

xx
Light sussex

Started by kattcottrell on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 21:39
by mercury
xx
R.I.R X LIGHT SUSSEX

Started by skyblue on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 11, 2007, 09:24
by chickenjohnok
xx
light sussex

Started by goshawk7 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 09, 2013, 12:57
by ANHBUC
question
light sussex

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 19, 2011, 14:11
by Casey76

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 37 queries.