A decent coop?

• 3 Replies

CluelessCarrot

A decent coop?
« on: June 14, 2010, 16:27 »
Hello all,
I was wondering if you could assist me in the purchase of a new coop for some chickens? I have narrowed my chicken choice down to either Sussex or Sussex Bantams (or both?), and would like to keep around four birds. This is just a pipe-line dream as yet, firstly because I am still learning about keeping chickens, but also because I am due into hospital soon for a major operation.

The coop I have found on Ebay looks great to me, but I wanted to run it past you experienced folk. The item number is 350343925302, I have a lovely spot for it in my back garden, not too sunny, not too shady, and will be constructing a run in due course.

Advice would be appreciated.

Thank you :)
Online! On digital! And on the edge of a tantrum!

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
Re: A decent coop?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 17:09 »
It is different to the one i bought which looked very nice.
This one looks to be made out of the same thin timber mine is, & to be honest i don't think they will last very long.
You'll be better of spending that little bit more on a shed if you have enough space.

carolbriar

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 17:11 »
Hi, I have just looked on ebay and I think you will find it is a bit small.  The picture you see on ebay is for the bigger hen house (They say this further down the information) and it says it only has 2 nest boxes.  It is only just 2ft deep and 4ft wide but the width includes the nest box.  I also think that 2 nest boxes are not enough.  I know it is recommended one nest box per 3 hens but I have 5 hens and 4 nest boxes.  I have one broody hen who won't come out even though she is not sitting on any eggs, another hen who likes to sit in the nest box on and off and pretend she might lay one day and also 3 hens who are laying and when I have 3 nest boxes used up they still queue up to lay in the same nest box as one of the others.  I would look a little more closely at the sizes being offered as a lot of them are very small.  I think mine is 4ft x 3ft without counting the nest boxes which are on the side.  Hope this helps.
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 18:42 »
I have 1 nest box with 3 laying - no problems. Occasional argument but nothing serious or physical! Also be careful not to get too big a coop as can be harder for hens to stay warm in winter. Just make sure you've got enough perch space (12" per bird). Hope your op goes well and you can get your new chucks soon! (NHS should prescribe them they're so therapeutic!)

xx
Decent hen feeder.

Started by Goosegirl on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 18, 2023, 17:45
by snowdrops
xx
Decent utility Light Sussex near Derby?

Started by kopperdrake on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 12:02
by kopperdrake
xx
coop & run

Started by Walfre on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 15:13
by GrannieAnnie
xx
new coop and run

Started by cheshirecat on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 21, 2009, 22:06
by cheshirecat

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 38 queries.