what feeder

• 13 Replies

green stan 77

what feeder
« on: July 23, 2008, 22:56 »
Hi all to those reading,

I need help, this site is the best ive ever known. im on it as much as i can! being a first time chicken carer my chooks are due to arrive soon but have no idea what size feeders to buy, I'm getting six chooks. all advice greatly apprieciated.

thanks

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
what feeder
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 23:03 »
I would buy one with a hat on it to keep the pellets dry.

http://www.solwayfeeders.com/productsdetail1.asp?STOCK_CODE=6012T

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
what feeder
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 23:13 »
You can see it better without the rainhat on though!!!!! lol

http://www.solwayfeeders.com/productsdetail1.asp?STOCK_CODE=6012

and I can recommend Solway feeders.  We usually get all our equipment from them.  But Someone said Horizont were good price wise and if you spend over £200 the P&P is free.  We did order an electric fencing kit from them and 2 feeders and drinkers, but they wer more expensive than Solways, and Solways do a free P&P if you spend over £175.00!!!!!

They are very good at answering questions too!!!

Poolfield2

what feeder
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 09:25 »
I know others have posh feeders but I just use cheap lasagne dish from "a supermarket we mustn't mention" for a couple of pounds and keep it under a covered bit of the run. Same with the water. As they are glazed they wash out easily. We have had posh plastic ones for water but they tend to go green in the daylight very quickly and there is a temptation think " I must clean that tomorrow" as there is still water in it.

The oyster shell goes well in a terracotta plant pot cos they don't need much of that and it stops it filling up with water.

Have fun with your shopping :lol:

poultrygeist

what feeder
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 10:28 »
Our 6 have one of these with a lid on and we hang it under the coop...

http://www.solwayfeeders.com/productsdetail1.asp?STOCK_CODE=1807

Though we bought it from a feed store. Fill it 3/4 full every night and it lasts them easily.

We have the cheap 'n' nasty red/white plastic 2.5l drinker though it's only just big enough. Would recommend a bigger one. It doesn't go green in the shade.

Depends where you plan to put the feeder/drinker. Under cover or out in the open or in the coop ?

Rob  8)

Foxy

what feeder
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 10:37 »
Rob I put  ACV in the water stops it going green and nasty!
When it comes to feeders I agree with rob the ones with handles are good so you can hang in the coop or run. I always pay for quality as the cheaper feeders spill easily or come apart.

poultrygeist

what feeder
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 10:43 »
I almost bought some ACV the other day. But then I realised it costs money so and came to my senses  :shock:

Also a good idea to have a spare of each if you can. If you want to clean one out or it breaks,etc , you don't have to panic about buying a replacement.

The open trough feeders seem ok if you're under cover but we stuck with hopper type. With an anti-scratch ring so the food doesn't get ditributed amongst the local rat population.

Rob  :)

GrannieAnnie

what feeder
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 11:59 »
If you change the water daily, it doesn't go green!

Personally, I don't like the trough feeders Rob, they use them for perches and poop in them!!!!  Even the day olds do it to their troughs, so we bought 3 of the 5ltr hoppers and even the day olds can reach them!!!

agapanthus

what feeder
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 12:05 »
What's acv?  :oops:

GrannieAnnie

what feeder
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 12:07 »
Apple Cider Vinegar!!!!!!

poultrygeist

what feeder
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 12:07 »
Good point.

Our routine is to change water and top up food after lock up each evening.
Saves trying to fight them at the gate  :)

I would definitely go for a bigger drinker for the 6 though. 2.5l is cutting it fine and soemtimes I have to top up early if it's a warm and windy day.

Rob  :)

GrannieAnnie

what feeder
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 12:14 »
Our older girls have these buckets we buy for £1 from the cheap shops.  they are wider than the normal bucket, but not as tall, so you can get more chickens round it at one time!  But the youngsters have 9 litre bell drinkers like this.

http://www.solwayfeeders.com/productsdetail1.asp?STOCK_CODE=1805

They are easier to carry too Rob when they have handles!  We bought a couple for the turkey babies, the larger sized red and white ones, but not as easy to carry and I can only carry 1 at a time!!!!

poultrygeist

what feeder
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 12:41 »
Looks like a good one.

i like the 4 litre mushroom one with a hook too. That would do us nicely. Best start saving.  :)

Rob  8)

GrannieAnnie

what feeder
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 14:04 »
Before you buy one Rob, let me know, and if we've got an order going in, postage would be cheaper for you if I add it to my order! and not as expensive as buying from a shop!  In fact, I was going to get a small collection up as when people come for their chckens, or to have a look at them, they sometimes ask about feeders and drinkers, and some of these shops charge silly money!!!

question
feeder help

Started by Soozie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 24, 2011, 12:27
by Soozie
xx
where to put the feeder

Started by Sarah J on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post June 01, 2008, 13:38
by Porffor
xx
auto-feeder

Started by MontyTom on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 30, 2007, 23:29
by Foxy
xx
Treadle Feeder

Started by mo-jo on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 01:58
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 39 queries.