Pea sticks

• 11 Replies

Penny Finn

Pea sticks
« on: June 02, 2014, 10:09 »
Can anyone help?  I have been trying to buy pea sticks (I live in Chichester) but can't find any within a 10 mile radius!!
Many thanks
Penny
Gardening Granny

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Pea sticks
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 10:14 »
Can't help you find pea sticks in Chichester, but I can post a link to pictures of how our own 'DD' supports his:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=50902.msg602767#msg602767

(Basically, any arrangement of canes/stakes and horizontal twine for the tendrils to hang on to will do the trick.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Penny Finn

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 10:17 »
Thank you very much for that.  I usually use bamboo canes (in the absence of sticks!) but much better the way you have strung them.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 10:37 »
That's what we will be doing next year. We have had pea sticks (ffrom the garden) and netting this year, pea sticks were no good for the tall peas, they blew over in the wind as they were too heavy, the shorter Bulgarian ones were on nets, but a waste of net as we can only get tall stuff here. So DD's way next year.

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 10:39 »
Try using the plastic fencing mesh. It can be bought by the metre and in several heights. It can be supported with canes or poles and netted over to deter the sky rats
May the fork be with you

snooziebunny

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 10:59 »
Can't help you find pea sticks in Chichester, but I can post a link to pictures of how our own 'DD' supports his:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=50902.msg602767#msg602767

(Basically, any arrangement of canes/stakes and horizontal twine for the tendrils to hang on to will do the trick.)

Oh I love how this is done - I was having visions of wrestling with netting, but will definitely try this - thankyou.  Do I need netting over peas or will they be ok? x
Sarah xx

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 11:06 »
Agreed - 'blobby' bean/pea netting is truly one of life's challenges you can do without!  :lol:

My peas are OK once they grow above the height the average wood pigeon can be bothered to reach, but others don't seem to be so lucky.......

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 11:51 »
I am going down the DD route next year no more fighting with netting for me!!!

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 11:57 »
Try using the plastic fencing mesh. It can be bought by the metre and in several heights. It can be supported with canes or poles and netted over to deter the sky rats
Bit restricted here in BG, you have to seek out German chains for a lot of stuff we took for granted in UK. We have sworn off the big city till we are totally stuck.

Luckily I have OH on hand all the time now to fight netting or build supports. :lol: The Bulgarians next door just let the plants do their own thing and harvest all at once to bottle.

loafboy

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 12:54 »
I used some old wire fencing and made some frames as support, just put a couple of these back to back and they make ideal pea supports. The store easy as well as they just stack together up against a fence

IMG_1736.JPG

beesrus

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 14:44 »
I use the otherwise useless tops off my bamboo canes I harvest every year. Lots of nice and thin little spikes everywhere for those little tendrils.They get spiked in the ground and are perfect for much of the growing before the flowering stage, and are made for blowing in the wind. If and when the peas get too high and heavy, I then also hammer in the 2x1 timber and string a single line across the top. Between the two, they haven't blown down yet.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 18:38 »
I'd underestimated the height and they grew through the top of the anti pigeon net I'd put over them, so that's whats supporting them now  :D
How lovely are these though-
DSC_0137.jpg

xx
Pea sticks

Started by BobandJack on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 17:55
by Yabba
xx
Pea sticks ...

Started by wellingtons on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 21, 2008, 17:02
by Trillium
xx
Pea Sticks...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 12:27
by Eristic
xx
Where can I buy pea sticks?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 24, 2009, 21:41
by Bombers

Page created in 0.493 seconds with 40 queries.