Brassicas- what do I do with them all?!

• 8 Replies

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
Brassicas- what do I do with them all?!
« on: August 06, 2011, 17:35 »
Hello!

As a first time brassica grower I am delighted that my ballhead, sweetheart cabbages are all heading up and looking fabulous... The only problem is I have about 20 of each... what am I supposed to do with them all??   :blush:  Will they stay in the ground for a bit? When will they bolt?

Also, I am in the same situation with cauliflowers.  When do they bolt?  I'm picking one a week at the moment with another ten to go.

My brussels on the other hand are suffering terribly from white fly and aphids (the hairy ones) and are getting black mould ( I think its mould) so not holding out much hope for them :( 

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
Re: Brassicas- what do I do with them all?!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 19:20 »
In my experience cabbages last well in the ground - however if you leave them too long they will start to split - when did you plant them?

With any glut i always try to eat them all - as a normal veg, stir fry etc

Cauliflowers bolt quicker - you dont have a long period from when they look ready to them flowering - so if you have too many pick them smaller or give them away. Im never too sure with freezing - im sure someone will be along soon regards that,

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 19:25 »
freeze the caulis if you can't eat them in time.

Freezing and blanching advice is here
http://www.allotment-garden.org/allotment_foods/Storing_the_Surplus_Freezing.php

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 19:28 »
Cauliflower freezes well so no worries there (see Val's advice in recipes above  :) )

Cabbages can split as gazza says if you leave them in too long, but it is good opportunity to be able to share produce with family and friends if you get tired of eating it yourself.

You can cut them with a stalk and hang them up in a cool garage or something and they last for a few weeks, or wrap the head when trimmed and keep in the bottom of the fridge ---not 20 though  :lol:

Coleslaw is rather good  :) :) :)

(Actually cabbage freezes well too, now I think about it)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 21:21 »
I have packed up growing Summer cabbage for just that reason. One or two is OK but you can only eat so many. Make good compost. I only grow brassicas for use between October and April.

Why eat cabbage when there are beans and courgettes to keep up with, that is as well as the salad stuff.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 21:51 »
this year I have used more shredded raw cabbage (not always as coleslaw)...........than I have used lettuce.

So next year I must sow some for late summer. I only sow 6 at a time and the last sowing of Hispi has been eaten and the Minicole aren't ready yet :(
Then there is Tundra for after Ch the winter holiday :)

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 23:39 »
I love Hispi!  Still got some left I think. Still eating Advantage and Minicoles, not to mention red ones. Oh and caulis but the good news is that I've eaten all the  calabrese.  Still got some cavolo nero though

Having cabbage with my roast dinner tomorrow but there's bound to be some left as the thing is huge  :ohmy:  I always eat cabbage with my sausages and mash so I think we'll be having that on Monday. You can never eat too much cabbage can you?
 :lol:

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 08:03 »
TBH I don't think I really had it sorted in my mind when I had to sow for winter and summer cabbages  :wacko:  I've read the books but then have put them down and forgotten about them...

Oh well, I do like cabbage and they are special small varieties so at least they are not giants!!

Not sure what it is about cabbages.. when I got the allotment it seemed to be the thing that you had to grow  ::)

Off to read my book now to remind myself of planting dates for cabbages... :dry:

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 10:42 »
An allotment without cabbages is not right somehow. They just have to be there at all times.  It's the law!

xx
Any brassicas going yet?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post March 23, 2012, 19:06
by mattwragg94
xx
Get those brassicas in!

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2010, 20:12
by nilsatis1964
xx
Brassicas

Started by Elm street on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 18, 2014, 19:10
by RaptorUK
xx
Brassicas

Started by jimroden on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 11, 2007, 11:42
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 40 queries.