brassicas

• 23 Replies

matty42

brassicas
« on: December 28, 2009, 09:21 »
hi guys well another year over or nearly !
i have had my lottie for two years now lots of great fruit and veg  barr cabbage and cauliflowers !!!! my sprouts grow but not any other brassicas ? any advice thanks .
ps( i sow the seeds at home in the garden they do well its at the lottie thats the problem )

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: brassicas
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 09:38 »
How do you grow your plants matty?

I have club root, so I grow them on at home in 3" pots so they have a good root system before they meet the plot. I then chuck a hand full of lime into each hole before planting them out. I've used this method this year and had the best ever caulis.

Even if you don't have club root, it's well worth getting them established like this before planting out.

Make sure the soil is really firm, bassicas hate loose soil. I've acquired an old & really heavy lawn roller and I run over the patch several times before planting. (Don't do this when wet).

Don't fertilise at the same time as liming, the two will react and can cause an excess of nitrogen & lead to bolting.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

matty42

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 09:43 »
i grow them in a seed bed at home  new compost each year they all grow realy well i think its the transplanting stage ? the lottie soil is clay but have added compost and manure over the last 2 years.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 09:47 »
I grow mine in seed tray inserts, one seed per cell, start them off in the cold greenhouse, pot them on when they get they first true leaves harden off and then plant out when about 6" high. They go into the plot with a well established root ball and don't suffer from any transplanting set backs.

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 11:37 »
I grow mine in seed tray inserts, one seed per cell, start them off in the cold greenhouse, pot them on when they get they first true leaves harden off and then plant out when about 6" high. They go into the plot with a well established root ball and don't suffer from any transplanting set backs.

The above plus cover them up to keep the pigeons and bugs off! Watch out for "flea-beetle" my dad tells me as they munch little holes into the leaves....

Once established keep them watered in dry spells..... (as you would).

Can't think of any other reason why anyone might have problems.  ???
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 12:08 »
One thing I often see is brassica plants being planted out when they are too small. Keep them on the nursery bed/pots/modules until they have 6 true leaves. As a rule of thumb this is usually about 6/7 weeks from planting the seed.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 13:35 »
I haven't even dug last years Beans patch, where next year's Brasscias will go; I've just put some manure on top for the worms to tug-in.

Last year I rotavated in the Spring, then stamped down really tight but a lot of the Sprouts have blown; so I'm going to try planting them in soil as solid-as-concrete this year!

I've never understood whey they want their roots to fight their way through solid soil, instead of having some nice fluffy stuff, but I aint going to argue with them  ;)

penance

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 14:36 »
Have you limed the plot?
Both clay and manure can be fairly acidic, not ideal for brassicas.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 19:46 »
Strongly alkaline here, and only second year of growing veg (so Brassicas still seeing each plot "for the first time" in the rotation), but its a good point, I do need to do a test to see when the soil starts to become more acidic.

Hey! Will I be able to grow some Azaleas and Rhododendrons? That would make the neighbours envious :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 21:38 »
Strongly alkaline here, and only second year of growing veg (so Brassicas still seeing each plot "for the first time" in the rotation), but its a good point, I do need to do a test to see when the soil starts to become more acidic.

Hey! Will I be able to grow some Azaleas and Rhododendrons? That would make the neighbours envious :)

Having acid soil would certainly please my OH who loves rhododendrons - ours cope with our farily alkaline soil with a few doses of Sequestrian (not sure of spelling!) and a bucketful of ericaceous compost.

I add lime to my plot every now than then but have never tested the soil. I just hope for the best.  :blink:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 08:20 »

I add lime to my plot every now than then but have never tested the soil. I just hope for the best.  :blink:

You and me both. I've taken to just throwing a handfull of lime into each planting hole. Had my best ever caulis this year

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 11:47 »
I also bought metres and metres of debris netting (still in the garage) to put over then next crop planted out on the plot.

It was just a bit frustrating belting about with a fine-haired paintbrush trying to flick the c'pillars into a jar before they enjoyed the brassicas more than I did!

All I need to do now is plan where the brassica bed is going and how to make best use of the netting.   ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 14:15 »
Debris netting worked a treat for me this year, especially with the caulis. Not only with the caterpillars, but it provides a bit of shade for them and helps keep the moisture in.

PAH48

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 19:39 »
can't agree more Debris netting is the way forward,,,so glad I invested...money well spent..

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 20:28 »
Thanks DD and PAH48 - I was hoping it was a wise buy... All I need to do now is work out what sort of frame to use to keep it in place... ???

xx
Get those brassicas in!

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2010, 20:12
by nilsatis1964
xx
Brassicas

Started by mosser on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2014, 23:31
by al78
xx
Brassicas

Started by The Golden Heap on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 00:18
by seaside
xx
Brassicas

Started by Judithm on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 20, 2013, 17:01
by DD.

Page created in 0.562 seconds with 35 queries.