Three little piggies.

• 38 Replies

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Three little piggies.
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 20:43 »
Never had a problem with horsetail as ducks LOVE it and it never has a chance. The pigs sort EVERYTHING else. Crouch grass, dandelions, creeping buttercup, nettles are all gone. We have a couple of patches of ground elder and I am going to try and fence them in onto it so they can do their worst.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

snowdrops

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 20:47 »
Hmm ducks hey. Now there's a thought :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2014, 21:44 »
They love it! Every time it sticks it's head above ground they nip it off and it never has a chance.

snowdrops

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2014, 19:04 »
Do you want to loan them out  :lol:  I could do holidays for ducks, I think pigs would be better over the winter though. :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 19:16 »
I only wish they loved ground elder as much!

snowdrops

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2014, 19:17 »
Won't the pigs clear that?

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 20:17 »
I'm sure they will but it's in the bottom of our garden bit that we have set to wild flower meadow and they won't stop at the ground elder! We might try penning them to just that bit and see what happens.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 21:41 »
they look gorgeous - what breed are they Kate?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2014, 21:51 »
They're Large Blacks. They are a rare breed and are meant to be very lean and tasty.

ronmcfadden

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2014, 13:56 »
Great looking piggies :)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2014, 19:38 »
Thank you. :D

They are due to go to slaughter next month and really looking forward to seeing how they taste  :tongue2: They have been a pleasure to have but are a little big and boisterous now and have a little habit of escaping. Had a sense of humour failure yesterday when they got into the goat pen again and ate all their food and then bit the little white goat. Admittedly I'm a little protective of my goats and he didn't break or even mark the skin but had been digging in the mud and left a very dramatic muddy mouth mark!
Stormed into the house and threatened to slaughter them myself if the OH didn't get round to fixing the fence and keeping HIS pigs under control!
Have calmed down a little now and do like sitting and chatting with them and giving them a scratch which they love. :D Still love bacon more!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 20:13 »
Well the boys are booked into the abattoir for next Tuesday and then on to our neighbour who is a butcher and master curer and then back to us.
Bit sad but also very excited about eating our own home raised pork and bacon. :tongue2:

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2014, 16:59 »
The other evening a friend of ours told us that they were taking a small holding and mentioned rearing pigs amonst other live stock. Your last post has prompted me to ask how much do these services cost. Is the cost of feeding and caring repaid in bacon ( and other cuts)  Or is it the fact that you know how the animal was looked after plus the aspect that the meat probably tastes better.   The OH is interested in rearing a pig but we don't have enough space and expertise. 
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2014, 10:17 »
Hi,

For us it was mainly about knowing that the meat we ate was from happy healthy animals. We have sold some of it and in combination with the stuff we have eaten we will make a make a small profit (not including the cost of the pig ark). We are also trading some of it for other meat so we don't just have to eat pork and got our hedges cut in exchange for sausages!

We probably spent about £250 on food for three pigs from wean to 26 weeks old, they cost £50 each but we chose to get a rare breed so you can certainly pay less. Slaughter and splitting was £20 each. We are still waiting for the final bill from the butcher we used but we ant for the more expensive option of having sausages, bacon and ham made as well as the standard cuts. You can of course do that yourself but we have a master curer living 2 doors down and decided to let him do it and learn from him for the future rather than risking the meat! Most quotes I've seen are between £25 and £60 per pig depending on what you have done and the relationship you have with the butcher!

Debz

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2014, 10:24 »
How did they taste Kate?

xx
piggies here we come..

Started by GTFC197 on Livestock and Growing on a larger scale

52 Replies
Last post January 08, 2013, 09:26
by JamesFarmFood
xx
Hopefully getting piggies next year!

Started by Helenaj on Livestock and Growing on a larger scale

3 Replies
Last post October 05, 2011, 15:24
by GTFC197
xx
new piggies ordered

Started by GTFC197 on Livestock and Growing on a larger scale

37 Replies
Last post July 21, 2012, 19:23
by GTFC197

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 38 queries.